• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Black Point crushed upon exporting using DJI hyperlapse images, loss of data

#1 mikekempphoto
Hello! I'm having issues with this DJI Mavic 3 Cine hyperlapse export. The entire processing works completely fine until I get to the point of exporting. I am trying to export in ProRes with the intent of grading the footage in Premiere, so the only edit made with the keyframes are some slight color balance adjustments. However, when I make the export, the black point and shadows are totally crushed and all the data is lost - so I can't compensate for it in Premiere anyways.

I checked to see if it was the encoding causing the issue, but the problem persists amongst H.264 and H.265 encodes as well. The issue is only with this DJI footage and not with any of my other timelapses taken on my handheld camera. I attached screenshots of what the timelapse is supposed to look like versus how it looks after export. I also included the settings for my ProRes export below.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (And yes, I already uninstalled and reinstalled the program hahaha)
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
I think that Premiere is not interpreting the "Full Range" material correctly. If it misinterprets it as "Legal Range" (which is more common for video) then you would have the effect that you are experiencing. Try setting the Video levels to "Legal Range" and see if that helps. Alternatively you'd need to tell Premiere to interpret that footage as "Full Range".

Apart from that you are loosing color information by using the internal export and render in LRT, since this works with Rec.709 intermediaries (you saw the warning in the render dialog). It would be better to use the Lightroom workflow and export via the LRTExport plugin. This will create Rec.2020 intermediaries which have a bigger color space.

Apart from that I would question your approach to do only limited editing in LRT/LR and do all the grading in Premiere. Instead I would do most of the grading based on the DNG files in LRT/LR and only few additional edits in Premiere.

Please find more information about the color management in the FAQ: https://lrtimelapse.com/faq/ (see the section Export and Render) and also in my tutorial about color management in LRTimelapse on the tutorial page: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/advanced/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 mikekempphoto
The first solution worked! Thank you!

...also check out: