• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Few Issues After Upgrading to LRT6

#1 DSimagesTL
Hi Gunther and all,

As a long time user of LRT5 I was excited to upgrade to 6 last week, although I have had a few nagging issues mainly with just fluidity of use.

I'm running on a Mac studio Ultra 2 and Macbook M2 Pro-

My biggest issue that I'm having is my LRT6 app is regularly beach-balling and freezing. I think previously LRT5 froze on me a total of 5 times in 5 years... but now it's every day. Luckily if I leave it like that, let's say mid visual preview render, it WILL finish, but I have to force quit the app and then open it again to see the result. Is there some quality of life settings I should check?

Aside from the freezing and beach-balling, I am having an issue where LRT6 is applying a curves adjustment that is not apparent on any of my keyframes. Is there something I can check for this and maybe resolve this issue?
Attached is the first keyframe in a sequence and the very next photo after deflickering and reloading metadata.

As always, thanks in advance.
-Drew
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Hi Drew, I think the first issue can easily be resolved by gradually decreasing the number of parallel processes in Settings / Expert Settings. The might be too high on your setup and file sizes by default. Please decrease the numbers by 2, then try again. If the problem is gone, fine. If not, decrease by another two.

The second one is a bit weird, LRTimelapse doesn't support point curves for keyframes (never done) and also shouldn't alter them. Could you do some simple tests with short sequences and try to narrow down what's really happening there? Try by removing the sequence from Lightroom and doing metadata / initialize in LRTimelapse.

Then redo the workflow - when importing into Lightroom, make sure to NOT have the importer add any preset (if you are using a default preset for photo editing, this might break the images for LRT) !!

If you can't figure out, what's causing this, send me the two images with the different look via a file transfer service like wetransfer or dropbox to support(at)lrtimelapse.com
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 DSimagesTL
Gunther,

Alright, I lowered the parallel processes to 14, which did not work and still froze during visual previews. It seems 12 processes is working though so thats a start. But I am curious - is that to be expected with the new M2s and LRT6 and how much speed/power am I losing from having to do this?

As for the sequence, I am still having very strange results that I haven't experienced in LRT5.
I did as you requested - removed the folder from Lightroom and initialized metadata in LRT6. Started over and dragged from LRT6 to LR again and made sure no preset was being applied. Reedited and am still having strange outcome with the Curves adjustments. For some reason it isn't copying the curves settings to any photo that isn't a keyframe. That was news to me that curves didn't ramp using LRT, but regardless it's weird that it isn't copying that metadata at all.

I'll go ahead and send you the first photo in the sequence along with the second photo and accompanied xmp file for both.

Switched backpacks last minute before the hike and was so bummed I forgot my ND filter, so no judgement! lol https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...share_link

Thanks for your time, Gunther.
-Drew
#4 DSimagesTL
Gunther,

I think I may have figured out the issue and that leades me to a question -
When you say "make sure to NOT have the importer add any preset (if you are using a default preset for photo editing, this might break the images for LRT) !!"

Does that ALSO mean that you cannot save a preset before removing from Lightroom... Then after the images are imported use that preset to bring the image back to the same state? Is that breaking LRT as you mentioned? There was a lot of editing on this particular lapse with ramping and moving gradients, so I used that method. Now after redoing the sequence and painstakingly redoing all the edits without using a user preset, it seems ok.

Is there any way to recall a user defined preset when working on lapses safely in LRT6? I know I have done this in LRT5 and can think of specific timelapses I had to do so, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Thanks for your time.
Drew
#5 Gunther
Since I don't know, what that preset does, it's hard to tell.
It shouldn't be altering the masks (only the masks that lrtimelapse creates are supported for keyframing) and also not using any unsupported lightroom tools.
Generally I advise against using presets when working on timelapses.

I suspect that those presets might have destroyed the mask structure that lrtimelapse created on initialization.
#6 Gunther
Quote:Alright, I lowered the parallel processes to 14, which did not work and still froze during visual previews. It seems 12 processes is working though so thats a start. But I am curious - is that to be expected with the new M2s and LRT6 and how much speed/power am I losing from having to do this?
It's very hard for LRT to predict the "sweet spot" of parallel processes that a system can run. Especially on the larger Silicon Macs the estimation might be too high, especially if you work with large and demanding raw files.
You don't lose anything, because the default is not necessarily the optimum, as you saw in your case - the way you approached the numbers should have given the optimum for your system.

PS: Next time please open a new thread if you have a different topic, that makes it easier to follow an keep track.

...also check out: