• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shooting Holy Grails - workflow questions

#1 grwiffen
My questions relate to generating the Holy Grail of time lapse sequences, sunlight into night and for me, I am shooting into the sun at sunset, with the sun in the frame.

I am roughly shooting from 1/100th, ISO100 every 6 seconds, through to 30 second exposures, ISO3200. I use a Nikon internal Intervalometer on the D7000. Aperture is set to F9.

After trying this out over a number of time lapse trials, I have many questions and a number of observations. Any comments are welcome.

At the beginning, I am shooting 10fpm, while at night, its 1-2, so when rendering into a sequence at 24fps, the night time speeds up. Any ideas on how to overcome the speeding up of time over the entire sequence?

The number of changes from day to night, either speed or ISO can be a lot, especially if clouds are running across the skies too. It may be that the Nikon internal intervalometer is not flexible enough, but is there an easy way to step-change across this range of settings?

Whilst I am very experienced in taking sunset shots, taking images for a sequence complicates matters. I may use techniques for a single frame that cannot be easily applied to multiple images e.g. blending. So how would you approach shooting into the setting sun? I use graduated filters, but the resulting exposure change when you remove or change the filter can cause un-editable jumps. And if using these, would you step from 3-stop, to 2-stop, to 1-stop, to none? Or just not use them at all?

I usually use the histogram to ensure the camera is capturing the maximum about of data, resulting in the best picture possible in post processing and when shooting n RAW, use the 'expose to the right' method. However, at some point, as the light fades and the exposure lengthens, the histogram cannot be viewed on the back panel due to the time interval/writing to the memory card, so at that point what do you do? (In the recent tutorial, you mention you underexpose your shots to stop any blown out highlights).

Lastly, regarding night shots, does anyone have any advice on reducing noise? At 30secs, ISO3200, there is noticeable noise, even after reducing it in Lightroom. I would also normally shoot at F2.8 for star shots, but again the Nikon intervalometer doesn't allow aperture changes during the shooting sequence.

Any advice gratefully received.
#2 Gunther
(2013-05-28, 22:53)grwiffen Wrote: I am roughly shooting from 1/100th, ISO100 every 6 seconds, through to 30 second exposures, ISO3200. I use a Nikon internal Intervalometer on the D7000. Aperture is set to F9.
First: do you change aperture during the process?
Second: go for an external intervallometer, it gives you better performance.

Quote:At the beginning, I am shooting 10fpm, while at night, its 1-2, so when rendering into a sequence at 24fps, the night time speeds up. Any ideas on how to overcome the speeding up of time over the entire sequence?
Stay with a constant interval.

Quote:Whilst I am very experienced in taking sunset shots, taking images for a sequence complicates matters. I may use techniques for a single frame that cannot be easily applied to multiple images e.g. blending. So how would you approach shooting into the setting sun? I use graduated filters, but the resulting exposure change when you remove or change the filter can cause un-editable jumps. And if using these, would you step from 3-stop, to 2-stop, to 1-stop, to none? Or just not use them at all?
I don't recommend using ND-Filters for holy grail since you will run into serious trouble trying removing them while shooting and later to adjust the color casts.

Quote:I usually use the histogram to ensure the camera is capturing the maximum about of data, resulting in the best picture possible in post processing and when shooting n RAW, use the 'expose to the right' method. However, at some point, as the light fades and the exposure lengthens, the histogram cannot be viewed on the back panel due to the time interval/writing to the memory card, so at that point what do you do? (In the recent tutorial, you mention you underexpose your shots to stop any blown out highlights).
Yes, for sunsets don't expose to the right, it will blow your highlights.
And go for the external intervalometer, it gives you more time for reviewing the image on the camera, while the internal "locks" too long.

Quote:Lastly, regarding night shots, does anyone have any advice on reducing noise? At 30secs, ISO3200, there is noticeable noise, even after reducing it in Lightroom. I would also normally shoot at F2.8 for star shots, but again the Nikon intervalometer doesn't allow aperture changes during the shooting sequence.
see above. If possible I try to avoid changing aperture during the holy grail, so I start shooting wide open.
Hope I could help!
Best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 grwiffen
Hi Gunter,

Thanks all of that. To respond ....

No, I dont change aperture during the shoot, but I think I will have to as I go in to night time shooting, as I want to open up the lens as far as it can go. Can an external intervalometer do that?

Can you recommend an external intervalometer?

QUOTE: At the beginning, I am shooting 10fpm, while at night, its 1-2, so when rendering into a sequence at 24fps, the night time speeds up. Any ideas on how to overcome the speeding up of time over the entire sequence?

Stay with a constant interval.

Staying with a constant Interval, on the Nikon, makes no difference. Its the shutter speed and the resulting fpm that is making time speed up. I cant keep to a constant shutter speed, due to the lack of light.

Aperture: You say that you shoot wide open from start to finish..... I always shoot landscapes at f8-11 as the lens is at its sharpest there and these F-numbers provide a good depth of field. My Sigma 10mm will shoot at F3.5 and I wonder what that will do to the overall sharpness of the images?

Thanks Graham
#4 Gunther
Hi Graham,
maybe there is a misunderstanding here - the interval is always the time from one opening of the shutter to the next opening. Thus it includes the shuttertime and the "dark-time".

My recommendation is, to start shooting wide open, not adjusting the aperture, staying with a constant interval of say 20secs and then increasing ISO and Shutterspeed.

This will lead to a constant playback without any acceleration.
Best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: