• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Night sky frames darkening?

#1 MDieterich
I have a night sky scene and there a car over a mile in the distance with headlights on, why even with deflicker applied twice does the sky darken around the headlights?

In the attached pic the first is with the headlights and then the second is without. In the 2nd pic the sky is brighter, but when the headlights come in that area darkens and causes a big flicker during my video. Circled with a red oval is the area of the sky that is bright, it should remain bright because of city lights, but the processed sequence sky darkens when the headlights are there. I did not apply a radial filter to the sequence. Just increased saturation and adjusted color balance and lens corrections.

Any thoughts on how to correct this? In the RAW files the sky brightness does not change.

Matt
#2 Gunther
You'll have to do a very "flat" editing otherwise Lightroom will introduce that kind of flicker. That's because even with same settings, Lightroom applies some tools in a non linear way, meaning that very bringht images will be edited differently from very dark images.
Plese see: http://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new-...me-lapses/
and: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-what...htroom-acr
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 MDieterich
Hi Gunther,

Thank you for the help. I turned off my clarity setting and unfortunately the scene still does the same thing. Here's an attachment with my settings. I did not apply radial or other types of filters, just the settings you see here.

Any other thoughts as to why this is happening and how to solve?

I just read your thread post about non-linear tools: I eliminated the blacks and whites sliders (after I took that screenshot of my settings in the attachment) and used a the linear curves tool instead, the darkening is still the same.

Thanks,

Matt
#4 Gunther
It's not only clarity. It's the way Lightroom applies Blacks, whites, shadows etc. too.
This has nothing to do with LRTimelapse.
You can check it on those two adjacent frames (the one with the headlights and the one without) in LR. Just apply the same settings and you will see, that Lightroom applies those settings differently.
If I were you I would remove that frame.
#5 MDieterich
This is a shame LR does this, especially since I have an interesting timelapse with astronomers at the telescope. Although now any frame with a red headlamp it is causing the sky to lighten, even when it shouldn't. What is LR doing to this sequence even when I use linear processing?

Thanks,

Matt
#6 Gunther
Its better if you leave out the non linear tools. Try the parametric tone curve instead and use the White/Black/Shadows/Highlights only lightly.
#7 MDieterich
Ok sounds good. Are the only non-linear tools these: White/Black/Shadows/Highlights?

Even when the non-linear tools are unapplied the flicker persists.
#8 Gunther
Additionally Clarity and Dehaze are the worst.
You have to try it. Maybe it's some other flicker too in your sequence.
Key Frames
redhdrex
2019-01-19, 20:15
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: