• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Anyone getting "humps" in brightness graph after Holly Grail method?

#1 Gr8Scot
Hi,

I have a time lapse that I used the Holly Grail process to take. This was a sunset so it should continually be getting darker. The Holly Grail wizard worked well except that it left behind brightness "humps" or hills after it processed the image sequence.

I am referring to the graph of the mean brightness. To see these hills better I did a second pass export of the sequence and looked at that export with LRTimelapse. This clearly showed those hills in the otherwise decreasing exposure graph. Setting different "deflicker" regions to measure different portions of the scene all showed these little hills of brightness.

I am not sure if I choose a wrong option somewhere or not. It seems I get these no matter how I tweak the Holly Grail wizard.

One of the camera adjustments did move the exposure in the wrong direction and that seemed to contribute to the biggest hill. All other camera adjustments looked to be in the right direction though.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It still maybe something I did or am doing wrong. I just can't seem to figure out what it might be.

Thanks for any info or suggestions anyone might have!

-Scot
#2 Gunther
You might try to fine tune the Holy Grail Adjustments in Lightroom manually if they are not 100% accurate. Depending on how much you edit, there might be small differences left. The reason ist, that some non linear adjustments like Blacks, Whites, Shadows, Clarity etc. do not behave the same if applied to a bright or a dark image. So the heavier the edits you apply, the likelier it gets that the "jumps" in exposure cannot be automatically adjusted 100%.

So before exporting go through the 2*/3* keyframes and check the adjustments. Fine tune the exposure of the 3* keyframe to get closer matches if necessary. After having done this for all keyframes, save metadata in LR, reload in LRT and on the HG-Tab choose "Auto Transition Special" and choose the "Holy Grail Exposure **/***"-Option to recalculate the intermediates.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: