• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Create other keyframes - need better tutorial

#1 Rui Guerra
Hi all (especially Gunter),

I think the "create other keyframes" in LRT3 needs to be well explained, because it is somehow confusing.

We now have the option of "All" (blue losanges), "Colors" (green squares) and "Crop" (red inverted triangles).
Although I understand that they are very useful, the way we should use them together is not shown in any tutorial so far.

If we choose "colors" and create for instance 3 keyframes (beginning, middle and end) and after that we choose "crop" to create just 2 keyframes (beginning and end) those will erase the first two that were created for color adjustments. But of coarse that we always need a keyframe in the beginning an one at the end, at least!

More, if "colors" are 4 stars keyframes, "Crop" are five stars, how many stars are the "All" keyframes (because 1, 2 and 3 are already taken...)?

Should we make several "read metadata in LR - adjust keyframes - back to LRT" back and forward if we need to adjust crop, color or all at different keyframes?

Thanks,
#2 Gunther
Hi Rui, I tried to make it a bit clearer in LRT3.1 - the problem is, I only have 5 stars available, so since 1,2,3 are already taken I assigned 4 stars to colors (all except crop and exposure) and 5 stars to crop.

It doesn't matter, that the first and last keyframes change - on contrary - this is useful when using the filters in Lightroom, if they stayed at 1 star you wouldb't be able to see the images then when filtering for the 4* or 5* ones.

"All keyframes" is not existant in LRT3.1 anymore - I admit that was confusing. Now the Auto Transition Special has three options:

1) Holy Grail keyframes: makes the HG **/*** transitions for the exposure column only.
2) Colors: makes transitions for **** keyframes, on all columns except exposure and crop columns
3) Crop: makes ***** transitions for crop columns.

If you want to adjust Colors and Crop, do that one after the other, not at the same time by repeating the 2nd and 3rd row 2 times, once for the colors and once for the crop.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Rui Guerra
Hy Gunther,

OK, I think I've understood.

But, why do you say that "All keyframes" is not existant in LRT3.1 anymore?
I have LRT3.1 and that option is there!

Please check the print screen bellow:

[attachment=423]

Please clarify that...

Cheers,
#4 Tayqun
(2013-08-10, 13:06)gwegner Wrote: Hi Rui, I tried to make it a bit clearer in LRT3.1 - the problem is, I only have 5 stars available, so since 1,2,3 are already taken I assigned 4 stars to colors (all except crop and exposure) and 5 stars to crop.

It doesn't matter, that the first and last keyframes change - on contrary - this is useful when using the filters in Lightroom, if they stayed at 1 star you wouldb't be able to see the images then when filtering for the 4* or 5* ones.

"All keyframes" is not existant in LRT3.1 anymore - I admit that was confusing. Now the Auto Transition Special has three options:

1) Holy Grail keyframes: makes the HG **/*** transitions for the exposure column only.
2) Colors: makes transitions for **** keyframes, on all columns except exposure and crop columns
3) Crop: makes ***** transitions for crop columns.

If you want to adjust Colors and Crop, do that one after the other, not at the same time by repeating the 2nd and 3rd row 2 times, once for the colors and once for the crop.

Could you please explain it in detail how we can go for 2nd and 3rd row after we exported our video? Not need any tutorial but just want to see your explanation.

Thanks,
#5 Gunther
Hi Rui,
it's on the create keyframes, yes - you are right the name is a bit misleading... That should be rather "1 star". I meant on the "auto transition special" panel.
Best
Gunther
#6 Gunther
(2013-08-10, 14:19)Tayqun Wrote: Could you please explain it in detail how we can go for 2nd and 3rd row after we exported our video? Not need any tutorial but just want to see your explanation.
Not _after_ exporting. If you follow the workflow after being done with the HG adjustments you do the following:

- create the 4* keyframes. Save.
- Clear filters in LR, load Metadata for all images
- set filters to 4* (use filter presets)
- make all global "color" adjustments on the first keyframes, copy from left to right, modify subsequent keyframes as needed. Don't copy/paste the exposure!!
- Save metadata for keyframes, go back to LRT
- Reload in LRT, Apply Auto Transition Special only for 4*/Colors. Save.
- Now back to the second row, do the same procedure as above, only that you now create 2 or 3 keyframes for crop animation.
- When Copy Pasting in Lightroom only copy/paste the crop values.
- When applying Auto Transition special, do this for the 5*/Crop values.
- Save.

Now go back to Lightroom, clear all filters, select all images and render via the new Library/LRTExport plugin.
#7 Rui Guerra
Hi Gunther,

Now I am starting to be confused...:-)

In another post you say:

Quote:" I already told you that there was a problem in 3.0 that the JPGs have been exported in different sizes when using a crop animation. So in any log you get those messages, reagarding the sizes. Obviously the ffmpeg encoder cannot deal with that different image sizes very well.
So in the 3.1 version I changed the Lightroom plugin, so that it always exports at a defined size, regardless of the crop - this means the images will be scaled by lightroom and not by the encoder anymore.

This leads us to a couple of suggestions:
1) Don't animate the crop - instead export as 3K and do the animation in Video Postprocessing - this is recommended anyway because the animation will get smoother because video processors animate on sub pixel basis and Lightroom crops to full pixels.

..."

But in this post you are explaining how to animate crops in LRT3.1...!?

Please make this clear: can we or not make animated crops with LRT3.1?

Thanks!

All the best,
#8 Gunther
Sure you can animate the crop, I only told you that I personally would prefer to export in higher resolutions and do the crop animation in the video processing because in some situations that leads to better results, but technically it certainly works in LRTimelapse as well.
#9 bradhill3000@gmail.com
(2013-08-11, 12:07)gwegner Wrote: Sure you can animate the crop, I only told you that I personally would prefer to export in higher resolutions and do the crop animation in the video processing because in some situations that leads to better results, but technically it certainly works in LRTimelapse as well.

Hi Gunther,
I understand why you would normally want crop in another program. However animating a crop that involves 'vertical' and 'rotate' lens correction adjustments through several keyframes would be easier if auto transition took care of it in the 4* stage. I do this to correct vertical lines after 3 axis moves on a TB3. Repeating lines 2 and 3 of the HG Workflow works but is a slightly annoying extra step.
Would a button in the 'settings' menu like 'allow auto transition to animate crop in 4 star stage' be an idea?

Love your work,
Brad.
#10 Gunther
This will be possible with the next update.

...also check out: