• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Eating all available memory and becoming unresponsive

Sad
#1 tuhoojabotti
It seems to me that when I try to load a huge sequence LRTimelapse will start loading previews, but after a while it will have eaten up all free memory and grind to a halt with almost zero CPU usage. Also the user interface will become not responding so you can't, for example, press cancel.

If I forcibly kill the process and reboot my computer I can continue for a bit again before it freezes again. Does it load all the previews to memory? Is it threaded? Am I pushing it too much with ~20k 3088x2056 jpegs?

I like to software and I want to know if I'm doing something wrong. :)
#2 Gunther
(2012-07-15, 17:28)tuhoojabotti Wrote: Does it load all the previews to memory?
Yes
Quote:Is it threaded?
Yes
Quote:Am I pushing it too much with ~20k 3088x2056 jpegs?
and Yes.

If you really need to process such large sequences (why??) you should definitely lower the size of the generated previews in the settings to a much lower value than Shift-Reload the whole sequence to generate them again. You should as well increase the amount of memory provided to the java virtual machine, you can do this by editing the CMD file provided (if you are on windows) and increase the Max Memory setting. There are some instructions here: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-coul...al-machine
On Mac the setting is inside the info.plist file, just search the forum for this keyword.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 tuhoojabotti
(2012-07-16, 09:59)gwegner Wrote: If you really need to process such large sequences (why??)

I shot a 4 day time-lapse of an event. I had to use automatic settings to get good lighting across day and night so I need LRTimelapse to deflicker and I haven't found better deflickering tools around.

But yeah I don't think it should freeze the UI, perhaps it should check for low memory and tell the user to lower preview resolution etc?
#4 Gunther
(2012-07-16, 10:21)tuhoojabotti Wrote:
(2012-07-16, 09:59)gwegner Wrote: If you really need to process such large sequences (why??)

I shot a 4 day time-lapse of an event. I had to use automatic settings to get good lighting across day and night so I need LRTimelapse to deflicker and I haven't found better deflickering tools around.
I would split the sequence into the different days, that would make sense.

Quote:But yeah I don't think it should freeze the UI, perhaps it should check for low memory and tell the user to lower preview resolution etc?
Yes you are certainly right. I'm going to provide this in the next version.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: