• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail Fail

#1 byorii_desu
First attempt at sort of holy grail series with a bump in ISO partway through a session in fading light - as far as I can tell I did every thing according to the (e)'Book'. Almost constant - but no cigar!! Fixed plateau in exposure after HG keyframes. Ref area looks OK - no jumps. Thoughts? Perhaps I am not holding my mouth right?

Peter

Mac 10.7.5, LRtl 2.2.1, private licence, LR 4.3, GH3, Oly 75 1.8, RW2, mouth in frustrated grimace.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
It seems like you clicked on the "constant" checkbox in the deflicker panel? Why? You shouldn't do this for this sequence. Just leave the deflicker settings at its defaults!

To fix this: apply auto tranition again, this will clear the old deficker. Then just turn on deflicker, save, render.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 byorii_desu
Hi Gunther, Thanks for the reply.
Firstly, I may be wrong about using the HG method to achieve what I wanted - hence the "sort of" in the first post. I was after a level exposure across the sequence - not a smooth transition from light to dark (therefore the 'constant' was checked - it actually got me as close to what I wanted as I could get with my various attempts). This was only a trial sequence for another project - time lapse sky with slow motion sea below the blend; so it has to be fairly level/constant.

I did as you suggested - still get a decease exposure over time then a bump in exposure that fades again over time - a bit like a smoother variant of the original untouched sequence really.
N.B. Prior to the whole transition-deflickering thing for the first post I had manually matched exposure of all the keyframes in LR and saved the metadata back to the files prior to processing.

Have tried several variations - including exported "exposed balanced" JPGs recycled through - still jumps in exposure - different places (!?!).
One answer: Do not do a capture for this purpose in the late afternoon! I'm not looking forward to a real HG attempt with whatever defects I have in my workflow. Can I seen a Promote control in my life? Pity it does not talk to MFT models. Schlepping tons of Nikon gear is past its use-by date with me.

Thanks, Peter
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#4 Gunther
Hi Peter, this looks definitely better. Why won't you use the HG Method for this? It's a typical scenario. If you want the overall brightness of the sequence to be almost level do this manually by editing the (non-HG) keyframes that way from left to right taking care that the visual brightness doesn't change too much. The HG keyframe pair kann then be "matched" as usual.
This is not meant to be made automatically. Normally you would want your sequence to get darker. Checking "Constant" is not the way to go.
Just get used to the workflow it works very well if you do it right.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 byorii_desu
Hi Gunther. I still have the RAWs so I will nuke all this and start again. Thanks.

Peter

...also check out: