• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What am I doing wrong?

#1 crisslash
Hi guys,

I'm a new member of the forum. I'm also starting to learn how to use this software. Trust me, I have been through all the tutorials of LRtimelapse to get it done, but it simply, it doesn't make a change on my composition!

Let me be more detailed:

1.- I'm using DNG
2.- I'm following the workflow that LRtimelapse has, including using lightroom in another window.
3.- After I get to the "deflicker" part, I save the metadata, and then read it from Lightroom. After it, I export the files to JPG, and bang.... nothing!. No changes, and nothing...
4.- Just FYI, after I hit "save" metadata in LRT, I checked the DNG files and the modification date changed, so that means they wrote it (I guess).

One last thing, after I hit deflicker, I hit play to see my previous "deflickered" video, and it doesn't make a difference at all. I'm having a lot of issues with this and the other softwares don't seem to work, since they don't have all this features that LRT does!... I want to purchase this software (i'm using the trial version for now), but so far I'm struggling a lot, without results.

This is my latest comp, and as you can see, flickering is my worst nightmare in many of the timelapses...

https://vimeo.com/60051146

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Chris
#2 Gunther
Some things to consider:
1.) if you convert to DNG you have to do this as a very first step, before editing them. If you convert already edited images into DNG, the previews embedded will contain the edits and LRTimelapse will not work! So to be on the safe side in Lightroom reset the developments for all images of the sequence (in Grid Mode), then "Metadata/Update DNG Previews and Metadata".

2.) When working with DNG LRTimelapse writes XMP sidecar files, it doesn't change the DNG itself. I'm ab bit confused that you said that the DNG change date changed and write nothing about XMP sidecars.
3.) When playing the video in LRTimelapse you will always see the original previews, never the deflickered or edited. LRTimelapse has not access to the processing of the files other than that it will show it in the curves.

I think you have not yet really mastered the workflow.
I suggest watching the "basic tutorial" again (http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial) - and then trying it again.
I can as well recommend the EBook (see below). I can assure you once you mastered the workflow LRTimelapse will give you the results you dream of.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 crisslash
(2013-03-15, 10:51)gwegner Wrote: Some things to consider:
1.) if you convert to DNG you have to do this as a very first step, before editing them. If you convert already edited images into DNG, the previews embedded will contain the edits and LRTimelapse will not work! So to be on the safe side in Lightroom reset the developments for all images of the sequence (in Grid Mode), then "Metadata/Update DNG Previews and Metadata".

2.) When working with DNG LRTimelapse writes XMP sidecar files, it doesn't change the DNG itself. I'm ab bit confused that you said that the DNG change date changed and write nothing about XMP sidecars.
3.) When playing the video in LRTimelapse you will always see the original previews, never the deflickered or edited. LRTimelapse has not access to the processing of the files other than that it will show it in the curves.

I think you have not yet really mastered the workflow.
I suggest watching the "basic tutorial" again (http://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial) - and then trying it again.
I can as well recommend the EBook (see below). I can assure you once you mastered the workflow LRTimelapse will give you the results you dream of.

Thank you for answering this. I think I had better results this time. My question now is the following. You were mentioning in another thread (http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-how-...d-workflow) the workflow to deflicker more than once. Now, what if, after the first sequence, my timelapse has deflickered not quite enough to switch to JPG files?? should I try another round with my RAW files before switching to a round with JPG?

This has been very helpful Gunther... thanks a lot!

PS: African skies is an outstanding work Smile
Chris
#4 Gunther
That's what the second pass is for, even if there is some residual flickering after the first pass, just export as jpg like I explained in that thread and deflicker them again.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 crisslash
Gunther,

Thank you so much; I followed these steps again and it worked. I'm stitching together a new timelapse collection for Santiago , Chile . Will share it soon.

Thanks again
Chris

...also check out: