• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4k video straight out of camera or raw sequence?

#1 Teditedi
Hello everyone!
Just looking to buy a Nikon d780 or z6ii mainly for Timelapse. Since they both have the capability to record video and raw sequences i just wanted to know which are the differences between shooting in timelapse movie mode or interval timer shooting.
I'm shooting timelapse since few years now with my d7200 and using LRtimelapse for all my sequences, but I wanted to avoid (especially during the day, not for holy grail timelapses) using the interval timer shooting mode, just to save time in post production.
So in your opinion is it a good choice shooting timelapse video during the day, if the weather conditions are not too variable, instead shooting a raw sequences to avoid post production in LRtimelapse?
Is that much difference in 4k footage straight out of the camera and raw file sequences exported from LRtimelapse?
Thank you!
#2 Gunther
It's similar (even worse) to the difference between shooting JPG Stills or Raw.
With pre assembled timelapses as video files from the camera, you will get a heavily compressed video clip where you don't have much latitude to edit that clip, especially contrast editing and whitebalance will already be "baked in" and you'll have heavy compression.
With a sequence of Raw files, you'll have all options for the post processing, which includes the full raw editing and asides no compression artefacts.
I think my recommendation is clear - especially given that the time that you spend shooting is the same... :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: