• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A future where we can use HEIF/HEIC files rather than JPEGs for the TL render?

Video
#1 RussM.photos
Maybe a bit hypothetical because currently Lightroom does not allow us to export in the HEIF/HEIC format, but I would expect it really is only a matter of time. HEIF allows better bit-depth than JPEG (yet at smaller file sizes with the same or less artifacts). My question is if HEIF files were exportable from Lightroom, would it be possible for HEIFs to then replace (or be added in addition to) JPEGs in LRTIMELAPSE to provide a higher-bit-depth options without the size overhead of TIFFs? I am not sure the quality comparison between tiff and HEIF, but I imagined that HEIF would replace, or be a similar option to, JPEGs in the current LRTimelapse arragment.

Is this a crazy idea?

Russ
#2 mopperle
"but I would expect it really is only a matter of time"
Really? It has been released 21 years ago and its relevance is maybe zero? Even Jpeg2000, which also allows more then 8bit colour depth, or others didnt make it.
Regarding colour depth: the human eye sees no difference between 8 or 10 or 14 bit. More colour depth is only relevant for processing pictures. And therefore you have meanwhile RAW formats you start with. Jpeg or whatever it is, stays only at the end of the process.
Gruß/regards

Otto
#3 Gunther
Basically we need a intersection between fileformats that Lightroom can export and that ffmpeg accepts as input. If you find something that might provide any benefits, let me know. For me JPG and TIFF cover all needs.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: