• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

After Effects works only with .xmp file?

#11 Gunther
(2013-01-26, 06:38)nilapse Wrote: Then I save metadata to files and I export all files as dng to a new folder. When I render these files in AE flickering is back! I've done the same workflow with TIFF and JPG files with perfect results. But with dng it doesn't work.
Your error is that you export as DNG - why? Just take the sequence directly into after effects.

If you want to go the DNG way, convert to DNG at the very beginning of the process, when still no adjustments were made to the images, this is crucial because LRTimelapse will use the embedded previews and they have to be neutral.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#12 nilapse
You're right, it came to my mind later, that I could leave the import the raw files directly to AE. AE should use the XMP sidecar files created by LRTimelapse.
Still strange however that exporting from Lightroom to dng does not integrate the new metadata to the dng files.
Thanks for your help.
#13 Joe Vandaly
I have been working on holy grails until my eyes are bleeding.

I cannot seem to get a simple RAW sequence with just 2 pairs of keyframed images to"auto transitioned" properly. I have tried many times but after correctly treating the images in LR, LRLightroom is not working properly after selecting "Auto Transition" of the sequence.

My "match total exposure" keyframes in LR look great, but I am not getting a correctly transitioned sequence from LRTimelapse v 2.2.1. And I am not even bothering deflickering in order to minimize variables.

I am then importing the RAW files into AE v6 for final output (and using LR 4.3 and ACR 7.3 ... all software is up to date).

Although I am fairly certain I am following the steps properly as you have outlined in your video tutorial, do you have the process written out step by step anywhere?

Any idea what I could be doing wrong (note -- see below for my workflow)?

Help! -- before I commit hari-kari ... LOL ...
#14 Joe Vandaly
Here is my step by step workflow where I use the exposure increase method. Please let me know if there are any errors which could be causing my problems:

(Note: When shooting, only make 4 or 5 full stop exposure adjustments during the course of a sequence day to night.)

LRTimelapse
--Initialize
--Set Ref Area to bright part of sky (animate to larger part of sky if necessary)
--Hit Keyframe Wizard (orange keyframes denote your exposure changes .. green intermediate keyframe indicate a big jump)
--Save XMP

LR
--Import and select all images
--Read Metadata from files
--"G" Grid Mode
--Set Filter to Read Starred Images
--Go To Develop
--Set 1st image (very first keyframe) to taste
--Then go to first adjacent pair of keyframed images: Adjust/Develop the left image to taste, then copy settings and paste to the right image of the pair
--Select the first image of the pair -- hold shift -- and then select the 2nd image of the pair (left image should be highlighted)
--Go to Settings and select Match Total Exposure

(Note: Sometimes you might have to manually adjust the 2nd image to match the first one)

--Repeat Process for all remaining keyframe pairs
--Go back to Grid mode (G) select all (Cntrl A) and Save (Cntrl S) to Save Metadata

LRTimelapse
--Complete 2nd row

AE
--Import as ACR Image Sequence (do not make any ACR adjustment)
--Output 1080HD .mov file
#15 Gunther
(2013-01-27, 07:43)Joe Vandaly Wrote: --Import and select all images
--"G" Grid Mode
--Read Metadata from files

Your worklow sounds good, however the 2 lines I highlighted are swapped, first go to Gridmode, then load Metadata.

The complete workflow ist described here:
http://lrtimelapse.com/workflow/

I honestly don't know why you are experiencing that problems, you say the transitions are not working - have you checked the table with the values in LRTimelapse? Are the curves being "transitiosed"?

You should try to narrow down in wich step your problems arise. If the curves/values in LRTimelapse look right, you might import in Lightroom and watch the previews there - are they showing a smooth transition (it might help to "render previews" in Lightroom to speed up the update process, so you are able to see the changes.

Then try exporting the video from Lightroom before trying AE, do this give a good result?
#16 Joe Vandaly
(2013-01-27, 13:26)gwegner Wrote: [
You should try to narrow down in wich step your problems arise.

I have tried the process again. After processing in LR, the paired keyframed images look correct after I matched total exposure.

After completing the 2nd row of the process in LRT, I have examined the raw images in both LR and Bridge and I see no transition.

I am attaching screenshots of LRT after I have completed the 1st row (prior to switching over to LR) and after I have completed the second row of development in LRT.

Here is the rendered sequence from AE:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/px3fqfajb05yaz...PASS_A.mp4

Again, no transition. I don't understand this.

Pls let me know, thx for your help
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#17 Gunther
The second screenshots shows the yellow curve with peaks on the keyframes, these are the exposure changes for compensation. What happens after you press "Auto / Keyframes" -> The curve should change and connect those peaks leading to a saw-tooth curve. Does this happen?
#18 Joe Vandaly
I successfully did the holy grail of the sunset. No idea why this one worked.

I then did a different holy grail. This had more matched keyframe pairs. It did all tansitions except frames 150 and 151 (see attached).

Also after reloading, LRT did not display other changes I made to the RAW files in Lightroom (like Clarity and Vibrance). In the previous holy grail, it did read those changed values.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#19 stephensrobert
I'm an avid LRT user and love the program but I've had a similar problem with After Effects reading embedded XPM information in DNG files.

The problem comes when I'm working with a sequence that I don't feel needs any gradual transition between frames. In other words, I make all necessary adjustments in Lightroom to a representative frame and synchronize it to all the remaining frames.

I much prefer to do this work in Lightroom because you can make the adjustment to any frame rather than being limited to the first frame in After Effect.

When I import into After Effects, it doesn't seem to recognize the changes that I have made.

So, is it true that After Effects doesn't read embedded XMP information in DNG files even when no sidecar files exist?

I now realize that using LRT even without gradual transitions would fix this problem but it seems like an added step.

Thanks for any input.

...also check out: