• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

any idea to shooting Moon rise / down by use LRTimelapse in qDslrDashboard

#1 Ytao
Hi All,

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered but I haven't been able to find it from forum anywhere.

To be able to shooting for instance the "Moon rise during day to night time", an idea would be:
before "moon rise on ground",: Normal procedure by Sunset direction.
few second before "moon rise on ground", switch off Auto Holy Grail, Capture sample with given target "Lum", by predefined shutter speed/ISO... setup a reference "Lum" target the Moon "Lum",
Switch to Sunrise direction, simulation moon rise by calibrate the NTC with target of Moon "Lum" Vs Timing.
Switch on Auto Holy Grail

Does it will works?
#2 Gunther
You can do that. Just don't do "Capture Sample" while shooting. Instead just wait for the next preview (activate "Display Next JPG") to have it displayed.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Ytao
Thank you @Gunther, got it, I will try.
Other suggestion would be: as the "reference" is the key of target "Lum", therefor type of manual input "Lum" profile - the list of Timing Vs Lum - should be able to provide an "Auto Holy Grail" at the end. such a way, looks less flexible, but better on accuracy if someone is able to predefine "Lum" profile. Typically if target rising moon during day2night, its "lum" transition is opposite Vs the landscape.
does it make sense?
#4 Gunther
Sorry, but I don't understand you question.

The reference mainly serves to exclude areas (outside the reference) from the lum calculation. You could do that to exclude very dark areas. I wouldn't put the reference on the Moon only. Mainly because the Moon is very bright and you'd get a very high Lum value then. Also the Moon will move and the reference in qDDB not.
So just use a coarse Reference that includes the landscape and the moon and check the histogram to make sure to not blow the Moon too much.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 Ytao
Sorry I'm not clear. 2nd suggestion is that:
Target scenario is during daytime to the night, while moon is rising.
to dedicate location and date, we should know when moon will be rising, more specifically, by calculate time/ elevation angle of the moon rising, decide its - moon - lum.
Start from moon rising from ground to higher elevation angle, its EV will increase, yes, become very bright. Problem is landscape become darker.
Basically, benefit of camera dynamic range, assume overexposure by target moon EV (for instance 2 EV), given the change can bring “moon” back during post treatment in lightroom. Doing so, try to create compromise between moon and landscape.
I did manually adjust camera, play with such concept. likes below list
{
Timer/ EV(moon)/ moon position (Elevation angle)
0/ 8.4/ rising horizon
+7 m/ 9/
+10 m/ 10/ 3.2°
+12 m/ 11/ 5.5°
……
+60 m/ 14/ 16.3°
Stop here for the moon scenario.
(Landscape: EV from 7.2 to 1 at above duration)
}
The last time point, real moon EV 14, help of the smog darker the moon by -5, in my eye its reduce to 9, consider camera dynamic EV -2, reach EV 7. Finally my camera set EV at 4, compare with EV 1 at landscape still suffering of moon overexposure and landscape underexposure, but most of time duration is still good, both landscape and moon. Finally my setting is EV from 7 to 4 during 89 minutes.
one of the idea is below list can be manually integrated to the qDslrDashboard like:
{
Timer/ EV
0/ 7
+7 m/ 5.9
+10 m/ 4.9
+12 m/ 4.4
……
+60 m/ 4
}
Then control the camera automatically, therefor I can drinking coffee without touch my camera anymoreSmile

...also check out: