• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy Grail Sunset Issues

#1 spanishforjorge
Hello all! 

I recently shot a timelapse of the sun setting over Yosemite Valley and used the Holy Grail method. I have followed the tutorials and am having some issues with the completed product. Because of the adjustments made to the shutter speed, the setting sun flickers and "jumps" pretty badly in the finished video. 

I have posted the video to vimeo and password protected it. The password is elcapitan and here is the link: https://vimeo.com/140384864

Any suggestions on what I can do to smooth out the jumps the sun makes in this timelapse would make me so happy as I wont be returning to yosemite for a long time and wont be able to reshoot this.

Thanks!!!

Jorge
#2 Gunther
The problem here is that the sun is very overexposed - and when you changed the camera settings, the area that is over exposed, changes in size. You see this as pumping.
Normally, when shooting such scenes, you would have to take care, not to over expose the sun too much, and do small adjustment steps to the exposure only (1/3) stops.

But now that you can't do it again: do the editing again in LRTimelapse/Lightroom. Try to bring back the highlights as much as you can without sacrificing the quality. Increase shadows. Try to get the keyframes edited with recovering as much of the highlights as possible.

Then set a reference area to the sky (maybe without the sun - you'll have to experiment a bit) - and use the visual deflicker.
But as I said - I don't think you'll get a perfect result for that sequence - since highlights that are blown (=lost) cannot be fully recovered.

I'd recommend my new ebook (see footer) to learn about the shooting technique to avoid such problems in the future.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 spanishforjorge
Thanks, Gunther! Already bought your book and your site and application have been hugely helpful to me. Whenever I watch one of your tutorials my wife hears it and asks "Is that Gunther!?" Thanks for your reply...I think I will have to try this TL again next year when I return to Yosemite.
#4 Gunther
Greetings to your wife! ;-) Make sure you have the latest 2015/2016 version of the ebook, that I relesead earlier this week!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: