• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Auto Direction and percentage level

#1 npaisnel
I have had both LRT and recently qDSLR on a Peppermint linux machine, but have only just tinkered with it. Just (still) learning about it and came across the Auto Direction function this morning.

I was doing a 'sunrise' this morning after seeing a beautiful starry sky . But by the time morning came it was clouding over and the sun did not appear above a cloud layer until at leat 20 mites after sunrise, but I continued, just playing with Settings etc.

The light levels were going up and down as the sun appeared and disappeared behind the cloud banks.

Would this be a suitable use for Auto Direction ?

I could not quite work out how the percentage of Auto Direction worked.
Is the percentage related to the Luminance Value as displayed on the qDSLR LRT screen ?

My thinking, a low percentage, say 10%, changes direction with a 10% luminance change and 100% needs a 100% change in Luminance value before qDSLR changes the camera exposure .

In my brief trial this morning I could not figure out how it worked.
#2 Gunther
The percentage at Auto-Direction defines the threshold of the luminosity needs to change before qDDB changes from Sunrise to Sunset and vice versa.

Auto-Direction is an experimental feature that I don't use often. It was the predecessor to the "Auto detect Sunrise/Sunset" settings above in that settings dialog which uses the astro times to switch directions. Of course this doesn't help with your use case. But also Auto Holy Grail has never been designed to compensate for short term changes in luminosity like clouds passing by.

But feel free to experiment with Auto direction, for your use case you might want to experiment with lower threshold settings. Let us know if it works for you.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 npaisnel
Hi yes I did find another post on a random photography form that says that the sensitivity is MORE at lower percentages, and I can see that that makes sense

I saw that you had said you do not use it ..and yes i saw that it was not designed for random daylight changes because of clouds etc...will see how it works.

Thank you

...also check out: