• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Holy-Grail auto ramping isn't working?

#1 robertmolnar
Hi Everyone!

This is my very first post, tho I watching the forum for a while. Smile

As for background, I am very new to timelaps photography, but I fall in love with it quickly.

I have an old Canon EOS 1500D, and try to record Holy-Grail with. I have 2 android phones: Huawei Mate 30Pro 5G and a Xiaomi MI9.
I followed the instructions and tried on both phone, but seems the auto ramping is just not working. I have to manually adjust the settings to get a decent image. The Lum point is changing, but the settings of the shutter or ISO are not.
Also I have to use the internal intervallometer, as the camera doesn't react on the external. Which is odd, because if I don't connect the WIFI, there is no any issue to use the external intervallometer.

I watched Gunther's video and read the blog post, but I didn't find anything that I miss what he explained.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
#2 Gunther
It sounds like a camera problem that the external intervalometer doesn't trigger the camera anymore when wifi is connected. With most other cameras this doesn't happen. In that case you might need to use the internal intervalometer in qDDB.

If you do that, can you change the ISO / Shutterspeed manually via the qDDB +/- Buttons, while the camera is running
If not, it sounds like it might be an incompatibility with that special camera, but maybe Zoltan can say more if he reads your post.
If that works, you might want to have another look at my tutorial: https://lrtimelapse.com/gear/dslrdashboard/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 robertmolnar
Thanks for the prompt answer Gunther Smile

Yes, I have used the inter intervalometer in qDDB, because I had no other choice. It didn't get the timing correct, but as I read, it's a known issue. But I wonder, is this related to the fact that qDDB didn't changed automatically the camera settings when I set the auto holy-glair?
BTW, the camera response to the commands from qDDB when I manually adjust.
#4 hubaiz
The external intervalometer should trigger the camera even if it is connected with wireless. Is live view enabled on camera? Can you make maybe a screenshot of the LRTimelapse screen? Eventually you can send the screenshot to the qDslrDashboard support email.
#5 robertmolnar
Thank you all for the help!
As I mentioned earlier this is an older 1500D, and come the conclusion that the camera software has some issues....
I did some more test just now and here are the results:
Connect the external intervalometer, wifi off: works normal
Connect the external intervalometer, wifi on: works normal
Connect the external intervalometer, wifi on, ready to connect mode: intervalometer not working.

I read ön the display that when the wifi connection is turned on and set to connection mode, all other digital connections are disabled. I think that's include the external intervalometer too....
This misery is solved

Next, disconnect external intervalometer, wifi on, connected to my phone, qDDB started, when I hit any +/- button on the shutter speed or ISO settings, qDDB quit and the wifi connection close.

Reconnect the wifi, start again qDDB, and when I change the setting by hitting the bottom green numbers for ISO or shutter speed the camera respond and change accordingly.

So, seems the camera can't accept commands from the +/- buttons and casue exception and make qDDB quit.
I think this is the reason, why the auto holy-grail also doesn't work.

I did the same setup with my wife's Nikon 750D, and everything works fine. Even the auto holy-grail....

So, it's definitely the problem with the camera software, I'm not sure a software update (if any available) might help.

Worst-case : I need a new camera ?‍♂️

...also check out: