• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can I expect LRT6 Pro to deflicker this timelapse?

#1 jibber
Hi All,

Good day. I have spent most of last night and today running tests with the trial version of LRT6 to deflicker the below time-lapse. I've not got results I was hoping to get.

I've run the Visual Deflicker with a combined multi-pass of 15 passes. There is improvement, but not like Gunther's basic tutorial where the flicker is instantly removed by 2 passes (the pink wave does not flatten inside the bright green band... see screenshot). I've followed the steps very closely a half dozen times (with minimal settings changes in LR). The flicker in my time-lapse is only slightly worse than the tutorial time-lapse.

So my questions:

1. Can I expect to deflicker this time-lapse? (This is not processed by LRT6 trial just to demonstrate the flicker.)
https://vimeo.com/681119010
pass: lrtimelapse6

2. Is there something in the trial version that is limiting my ability to get results?

I'm convinced LRT6 Pro is the way to go for deflickering but I don't want to drop US$280 until I know for sure I can get it right in the trial version.

Thanks and appreciate the community here!

-Jibran

P.S. I'm running a late 2021 MBP 14" with an Apple M1 Pro chip. I have the ARM trial version of LRT6 and ARM version of Lightroom Classic.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 jibber
I should also mention that setting a reference area as described in the tutorial doesn't help one way or another. Also the smoothness value doesn't seem to improve the end result although the best value seems to be 10-20.
#3 Gunther
That sequence should be easy to deflicker with few passes.

First of all check that you have the right "Masks Version" set in the LRTimelapse Settings. It needs to correspond with your lightroom versions, otherwise Deflicker and Holy Grail Wizard won't work.

Now give it a clean restart via "Metadata / Initialize" in LRTimelapse and remove the sequence from Lightroom.

Now set a reference area to the sky in this case and activate visual previews (no editing yet).
After the previews complete, click on Visual Deflicker, do a 2 pass multipass deflicker.
The curve should be quite smooth. This shows, that everything is working.

Now you can start the workflow with "Keyframes Wizard" etc.
When editing take care with the Masks/Gradients:
- Dont touch the "Internal Use" Masks in Lightroom 11+
- Only edit the provided Masks/Gradients
- Don't add or remove Masks/Gradients

After editing your keyframes continue the workflow in LRTimelapse, do the auto transition and let the visual previews generate.
Check the pink curve. There might be a bit more flicker again now, due to the Lightroom editing.
Try another 2 Passes of Deflicker (Refine).
Now the curve should be smooth.

If you still see residual flicker despite a smooth curve, Lightroom introduces contrast flicker. I've explained this in my expert tips video #5 on https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 jibber
Thanks Gunther for the reply. Will try your suggestions this week. Glad to know it should work!
#5 jibber
My mask version was set to v2. I'm using LR v11.2, so setting the mask version to v1 fixed my issue. The initial deflickering is working great now.

I am curious though... LRT6 specifically set my mask version to v2 after I set it to v1. It said something like you're using the latest version of Lightroom so it force set the mask version to v2 (see screenshot). I had to set it twice to v1 before it stayed v1. I'm glad it's working with v1 but wondering if you can comment on what would cause this.

I'll write again once I finish the full workflow. Many thanks.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#6 Gunther
If LRTimelapse 6 loads a sequence that has been edited with Masks Version 2 it assumes, you are working with the latest Lightroom and changes the Masks Version to 2.0 in the settings.
#7 jibber
Hi Gunther, after I set the keyframes, lightly edit the images and save the metadata to files in LR (v11.2) I go back to LRT6. It reloads the keyframes and I click auto transition. The popup saying it's using Mask Version 2 now displays and I'm unable to use v1. If I set to v1 in the settings I have to restart LRT6. Then I re-select the project and it forces me again to use v2.

LR 11.2 is greater than or equal to 11 so I should be using Mask Version v2 (according to the settings) but the deflickering doesn't work. I'm not sure where to go from here. Ideas? Thanks.

Edit: Also, I'm not familiar with LR 12. I'm using Lightroom Classic and Adobe's website states that 11.2 was just released in Feb 2022 (last month) and is the latest. Lightroom CC appears to be at v5.2 and I have the latest of that one as well.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#8 Gunther
That's an error in the user interface, it should say that masks version v1 is lightroom versions 10 or older and v2 is >=11.
I will fix this in the next version.

Since you are using the latest Lightroom 11.2, you need to set the masks version to 2.0. Otherwise it will not work.
Restart LRTimelapse after changing it. Best redo your sequence from scratch via "Metadata / Initialize".

Sorry for the confusion.
#9 jibber
No worries on the confusion. Glad to know the reason.

All my attempts to deflicker with version 2 is no improvement or increased flickering. I can only get deflickering with version 1 before I do any keyframes, lightroom editing workflow. Is it possible I have the wrong masks? Is it possible to reinstalling them?

Appreciate your help.
#10 Gunther
If you work with Lightroom 11.2 forget about Masks 1.0. That's obsolete.
You will be working with the new masks. LRTimelapse will be set to that setting and Lightroom anyway automatically.

Everything you need to know I already explained further up this thread:
https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-can...0#pid50930

I'm pretty sure that the deflicker will get applied. It's possible that the curve won't be totally smoth after one pass but you should see the pink curve get smoother with every deflicker pass you add.

Please attach some screenshots, if your problems persist.

...also check out: