• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon R5, LRT Pro Timer 2.5, and qDSLR Dashboard Holy Grail on an iPhone not working

#1 ChuckD
I'm running qDSLR Dashboard Holy Grail on an iPhone. My camera is the Canon R5 and a LRT Pro Timer 2.5 intervalometer is connected to the camera.

The R5 connects with the iPhone, qDSLR Dashboard launches and acquires the camera wi-fi without any issues.

I can capture a JPEG, but the Pro Timer will not trigger the camera. The Pro Timer is running, but no pictures are being triggered.

I've searched and searched, but can't seem to find an answer. Any help is greatly appreciated!

The setup ran flawlessly on my Canon 5D mark iv.

Chuck
#2 Gunther
Is it possible that the camera blocks the external release while connected via WiFi?
What happens if qDDB is not active or the camera is not connected? Does the LRT PT release it then?
Please try to narrow down the issue by selectively removing components.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 ChuckD
Hi Gunther,

The Pro Timer works just fine when qDSLR Dashboard is not running on my iPhone.

The capture sample in the LRTImelapse feature of qDSLR Dashboard does work and triggers the shutter and displays the JPEG on the iPhone when connected to qDSLR Dashboard.

Thanks, and I hope this helps,

Chuck
#4 Gunther
So it seems to be like I expected that the camera doesn't react to the external shutter port when wifi is active. Unfortunately that's a Canon issue, nitnaure if there is something you can do in qDDB to change this behavior. Maybe there are other users with a Canon R5 reading here the could confirm this or maybe have a solution.
#5 ChuckD
Thanks for the analysis Gunther. Does anybody know if qDSLR Dashboard works with the Canon R5 on an Android phone?

Thanks in advance, Chuck
#6 magges
Hi Chuck,

I have the same issue from time to time with different devices, but I think it es related to recent Canon cameras. I had it with a Canon EOS RP, BFM Pine II (for triggering the camera) and qDSL Dashboard on Android connected via cable to the camera, but also with the camera and a cheap intervalometer. I guess it has something to do with the sequence of connecting and switching on the camera. But I did not identify a pattern yet. Disconnecting, switch off and then reconnecting helped always.

Never had an issue with a Canon EOS 7D or M5.

Best regards, Markus
#7 ChuckD
Thanks Markus. That seems to be the issue. The camera's internal intervalometer and the Pro Timer both fail to trigger the camera when qDSLR Dashboard is running. I've tried a few different sequences of turning on the timer and app, but to no avail. Thanks again for your comment. Chuck
#8 magges
Hi Chuck, have the same issue now with my RP. Maybe due to the firmware update I finally installed. I played around and got it working.
1. Connect intervalometer to camera and switch camera on
2. Connect USB cable to Android phone and camera and start qDSLRdashboard. I think the order of the first two steps does not matter,
3. As soon as the app detects the camera, the live image of the camera is displayed in the app, the camera screen is black and the external trigger does not work any more. Shutter from app does work, but we do not want that one.
4. In my app screen, the live view button on top left is red and I cannot disable it. I think that's the source of the problem. But when you now press the live view button with the camera icon on the bottom left and afterwards the live view button without camera icon on the top left, live view is disable (although the button on top left is still red) and the external intervalometer works.
Can you try this?

Markus
#9 bporteus
Similar (and maybe connected?) situation here with Canon Mark ii M6, ProTimer 3, qDslrDashboard on Android phone setup.

I'm able to connect the camera to the Wifi and the camera releases when I "Capture sample" (but the S2 jpeg doesn't appear in the app).

Also, when I try to run a 10 sequence time-lapse using ProTimer3, the intervelometer starts, but the camera doesn't release.

Another possible hint: Auto Holy Grail is button is not active in the app.

App settings:
ON:
Keep screen on
Image review after capture

All other settings off.

Curious for any suggested interventions...
#10 Gunther
I'd suspect that the camera is also not (yet) supported by qDDB.
Also you say that the LRT PT cannot trigger the camera while connected - some cams cannot be externally triggered while connected via USB or WiFi. Please check if yours is able to do that. If not, you won't be able to use an external Interalometer together with qDDB.

...also check out: