• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Connecting to opwnwrt on Canon650D

#11 DaveHi50
Dark Art-indeed!

I have found a few things in my endeavors, that may help.
I have a canon 7d an to this date not able to use DSLRDashboard.
I have a canon 6d which I was able to successful use.
-one of the many things that stumped me was- I had to disable the Wi-Fi on the 6d to get the app to work.
not sure if this will help.

This is a GREAT app, hope the bugs are worked out..
Good luck
#12 MountainWanderer
(2013-12-11, 04:01)DaveHi50 Wrote: Dark Art-indeed!

I have found a few things in my endeavors, that may help.
I have a canon 7d an to this date not able to use DSLRDashboard.
I have a canon 6d which I was able to successful use.
-one of the many things that stumped me was- I had to disable the Wi-Fi on the 6d to get the app to work.
not sure if this will help.

This is a GREAT app, hope the bugs are worked out..
Good luck
Still not got it to work with 650d Sad But instead of getting grumpy with it, I've been playing with a few shots I need where there's nowhere to camp near, as its no use for those (& they're on the "most wanted" list ;-) )

Suspect a proper go at trying to figure out what's up with it will have to wait til I'm home now - very little Internet as very little phone signal (less than id hoped) in the hills here...

But no wifi on 650d (or 5mk2 - yet to try it on that as well...) so that at least isn't the problem Smile
#13 MountainWanderer
Sorry for the slow follow-up, but in case it helps anyone in a similar position in the future...

Well, I didn't get it to work in the mountains in the end, but have been playing a bit since I got back and before I head back to the hills again.

I actually have no idea why it wouldn't connect before, it may be something as simple as me just getting my head around how things work better - but it seems to connect (most of the time) without too many issues now.

Watching the two videos (Gunther's how to use DSLRdashboard and LRT - bottom video on page and saw0's how to connect the tplink router are pretty much essential viewing if you've not done stuff like this before.

The e-book guide by dmitri popov has some use too for explaining what some of the controls are - but one thing I found very confusing was picture of the lens DoF guides - took me ages to figure out it was the image he was shooting - not something I should see within the app itself... doh!

But understanding that you need to have an intervalometer running as well (rather than everything being completely controlled by the app - see Gunther's video) makes a lot of sense as to why I couldn't get some things running once I did get connected. Obvious really once you think about it, but wasn't obvious until I heard that on the video.

However, a small suggestion for those making those really helpful "how-to" videos (Gunther included!) - would it be possible to have a text version on the site as well - for those of us who start playing with such things while we're travelling and don't have unlimited data/good wifi connections - like Gunther does for the workflow tutorial. Thanks!

...also check out: