• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DNG files - compatibility issue (?) between LRTimelapse and Lightroom on XMP

#1 tvi55
I have been using Lightroom for years with my raw photos always converted to DNG. I prefer having all photo related data, i.e. the photo as such and all its metadata, stored in a single file.

Now - with just having started LRTimelapse - I am faced with following (apparent) compatibility issue:

After import and conversion to DNG in Lightroom, using LRTimelapse its metadata are stored in separate XMP files. Going back to Lightroom, these metadata changes are not recognized in Lightroom, and subsequent adjustments in Lightroom are stored in the DNG files. The consequences are obvious.

Have I missed something here, eg a special setting ln Lightroom or LRTimelapse?

For sure I could consider moving away from DNG for timelapse photos, but only if really needed.
#2 Gunther
Normally DNG works fine with LRTimelapse and Lightroom. LRTimelapse will use sidecar XMPs for performance reasons, Lightroom will still write the XMP into the files. Both will read whatever is newer, so that this combined approach works fine.
For performance reasons I do not recommend using DNG for timelapse, since working with embedded XMPs is much slower (the whole files have to be written) then with sidecar files. But technically it works of course.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 tvi55
(2017-05-07, 22:17)gwegner Wrote: Normally DNG works fine with LRTimelapse and Lightroom. LRTimelapse will use sidecar XMPs for performance reasons,  Lightroom will still write the XMP into the files. Both will read whatever is newer, so that this combined approach works fine.
For performance reasons I do not recommend using DNG for timelapse, since working with embedded XMPs is much slower (the whole files have to be written)  then with sidecar files. But technically it works of course.

Yes, it works as you describe - and I am glad that is does!

I was confused as Lightroom does not indicate as usual that metadata have been changed in such a mixed situation, but indeed it recognizes the more recent version from XMP files when reading such data.

With respect to performance - I have had no issues with Lightroom writing metadata directly in DNG files. It takes only 7 seconds for 100 files on my system, but of course, updating XMP files is quicker. But even for 1000 or 2000 files, I would still be patient.

...also check out: