• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Exporting frame rate

#1 Teditedi
Hello everyone!
I'm just trying to exporting sequences at 60 FPS instead of 30 in LRtimelapse.
Just because I thought if I need to lowering the speed in post production, this will not cause "shaky" sequences (like the timelapse isn't smooth) and looks like this work pretty well, even though I speed up the sequence 2x.
I tried this method just because looks like the sequences are taking less memory on my hard drives and my workflow could be potentially faster and also smoother because of the many FPS.
But since I'm not a pro i would like to hear from you if this is a good method to save space, to work faster and get of course smoother timelapse.
Of course I'm using it just for few sequences, like for holy grail timelapse I've noticed that exporting in normal speed and at 30 FPS is ok.
Hoping I had explained it well!
Thanks in advance!
#2 Gunther
The fps of a timelapse clip is only a metadata. It won't change anything on the file size. It's just an information that tells the player how fast this should be played back. The number of images in the clip will be the same and that will determine the size of the video file.
You can try it: export one clip with 30fps and one with 60fps - leave all other settings the same. The file sizes will also be the same.
In any video program you can easily change the fps in which the footage is interpreted without any loss. But also without any advantage.
If, however you use the Speed setting in the LRT Render dialog, you will get different video sizes, but no gain in quality!!
Speed up 2x will just skip every 2nd frame - you'll loose information!
Slow down 2x will douple every frame - bigger file sizes, but choppier video.

Bottom Line: chose your interval wisely when shooting, this will determine the quality. Rather do a shorter interval, more images. Whatever you do later in terms of speed, it won't improve the quality, rather degrade.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: