• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flicker issue, LRT doesn't smooth out the sequence

#1 Oliver K
Hi,

I've been a long time user but first time on this forum. I just updated to v4.7.4 today and I'm working on a sunrise holy grail but for some reasons I can't get LRT to deflicker the sequence.
The keyframes changes work in Lightroom and they are applied inside LRT after the reload but I still have a lot of flicker in my final version. For some reason LRT can't smooth out the Purple line (see the screen capture in the attachment). I tried to play with "Visual Deflicker" but nothing works.

I'm not sure if this problem is related to the new version (v4.7.4) but I've been using LRT for years without any issue so far.
I also tried to import and process an old sequence and everything works perfectly. This gets me nuts, I really have to make this work.

Thanks
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Hi Oliver,
it looks as if you shot this sequence with the holy grail technique, but did not use the holy grail wizard - why?
But even without - after a couple of "refine" steps - the visual deflicker should deliver a smooth curve. Did you use Refine? It's just applying the visual deflicker multiple times after the visual previews have been regenerated.

For high contrast images like this, additionally, I'd suggest to set a reference are for the deflicker to the sky (click and drag in the preview to define the reference area).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Oliver K
Hi Gwegner,

First, thank you very much for your quick response. Much appreciated.

Indeed, I played with the Holy grail wizard, putting the "line" up and down and found the sweet spot slightly below the center. All good now.

By the way, sorry if I missed it but is there some kind of detailed tutorial or explanation about the Holy grail wizard button ? What it does and how to set it exactly ?
So far, I've only moved the line somehow to the center and rotate if necessary to align it. I understand the concept and it worked until today. However I'll be happy to take a look if there is more information about this feature So far I only found a brief description in this video at 4:06
https://vimeo.com/126471124

Thanks again for your help.
#4 Gunther
Eactly, no science. The sliders only are needed to bring the line to the middle (sometime it's clipped at the top or bottom, that should be avoided. Otherwise it doesn't make any huge difference, since you will be keyframing the exposure anyway.
As a rule of thumb, just bring the orange line close to the horizontal center.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 Oliver K
Sounds good. Thanks for the info and kudo for making this incredible software !!! Great job.

...also check out: