• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FOV change from Movie mode to Photo Mode - Alignment issues

#1 SeaandSky
Dear LRTimelapsers

I am trying to create a timelapse composite video using my Canon EOS R5 (mixing timelapse footage with realtime footage) - and overlaying the videos using masking e.g. walking along a street in normal time with the clouds going overhead at speed. To do so, it is clearly much easier when the images/videos align without having to scale / crop to match

Unfortunately, on my Canon EOS R5 (and perhaps with other cameras?) when you switch between Movie mode and Photo mode (as I use in timelapse) the Field of View (FOV) changes and the camera appears to zoom out slightly / crops the movie mode picture - there is an obvious jump between the 2 modes. Please note I do change my ratio in photos to 16:9 to match the video when attempting this technique.

I have tried various things to fix this including:
Switch photo mode to 16:9 ratio to match movie mode (which is 3840/2160, i.e 16:9)
Take the timelapse as individual shots (RAW)
Take the timelapse using the 'Timelapse Movie' Mode.
Tried different lenses

In all cases the images do not align. This is on a tripod (but you can see it very clearly when you switch between modes).

Even if you take a photo then take a video of the same scene and take a snapshot of the video, the images do not align!

I wrote to and called Canon technical support. They have 'elevated' my issue but thus far no response.

Do other people have this issue when switching between movie mode and photo mode?

Grateful for any technical answers to resolve this issue.

Thanks
#2 Gunther
It's quite common, that cameras have more or less differences in the field of view between photo and video mode. Some cameras even crop to APS-C in some Video modes, others crop only slightly.
I think there is not much you can do about this except overlaying the footage in a video editor later and crop the timelapse to match the video footage. This is easy if you set the upper track to 50% transparent while you try to align the crop.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 SeaandSky
Gunther, thank you. As always you are the man to ask a tricky question!

I will get to it and try the opacity technique, perhaps try and have a reference object towards the edge of the frame to make things easier.
#4 rodrigo
Have you tried a short transient effect to mask the problem?
#5 SeaandSky
Short transient effect? Not familiar.

Grateful for more on this option

I have been, till recently mostly stills photography. Only recently got into video and timelapse.
#6 rodrigo
Humm....it is a bit difficult to explain what a transient effect is, it is like a sliding mask that you insert between two bits of movies to pass from one scene to another, they can be timed. Some of them are more obvious than others, you usually find them under the FX section of the editing package that you are using. You will have to experiment to see which is the one that would be more suitable to your current project.
This link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YnJIahdk4c illustrate what a transient effect is, in this timelapse I combined panoramic photographs of Murano with a timelapse of the Lighthouse, I used Corel Video studio.
I hope this help.

Rodrigo
#7 rodirozmar
This is a fairly common problem in many cameras. It seems that all you can do in a video editor is crop the time-lapse to match the footage. Recently, I also decided to take up video filming, but thank God I didn’t have such problems. I wanted to shoot mini clips after I found one movie on the site https://www.999flix.com/. The film was about nature, and I also wanted to make such masterpieces. I hope you will be able to deal with your camera and embody your ideas.

...also check out: