• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gimbal on Slider for Shoot Move Shoot?

#1 storm303
Anyone used a gimbal for DSLR or mirrorless timelapse?

I recently saw a couple videos of the DJI RS3 gimbal (6.6kg payload) doing a pan/tilt shoot move shoot timelapse, including even long exposure astro. To be honest I thought the result would not be as good as a dedicated motorized pan and tilt head, but I was surprised that it really looks very close. Probably could not take much wind at all, but otherwise looks interesting.

I had the thought, could a strong gimbal such as RS3 be mounted to a motorized slider and synced with cable or wireless to the slider to make a flexible shoot move shoot 3 axis timelapse rig? If this could be made reliable it would be a much more capable total system since it relies on a real gimbal that can do many free form video shots. No more carrying separate pan/tilt head and batteries either if you already carry a gimbal.

Anyone seen anything like this done? I would be very interested in new thoughts on shoot move shoot since motors and apps have changes so much in the last few years.

I am presently converting from Dynamic Perception pan/tilt to Black Forest NT Mini, but wondering how often a gimbal could come close to the same results. I think the BFM system will still have benefit long in the future for vertical slides and the massive specialized programming it can do for timelapse or video, but the gimbal idea is intriguing.

Thanks in advance for any experience or pointers to new applications of gimbals for timelapse with mirrorless or DSLR you might be aware of.
#2 Gunther
A Gimbal is built for a different purpose. From my experience a Gimbal will mount too high and be too unstable when mounted on a slider. Also the motors might drift.
The NT or NT Mini are designed specifically for Timelapse with a low center of gravity. That works perfect. A Gimbal in comparison will have a very high center of gravity and any bit of wind will have a negative impact.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 storm303
Thank you Gunther for the prompt reply.

I think you are right, that in anything but perfect conditions the gimbal would wobble. I appreciate the perspective.

...also check out: