• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

having trouble rendering accurately: colour/gamma shift, LR TIFFs vs LRT Prores444

#11 chasg
a pleasure :-)
#12 chasg
Ah, rats, still having problems.

I tested with much lower quality settings this time, and I can't get the final movie to match what I see in Lightroom.

My LR export settings and LRT render settings are attached as screenshots.

Also attached is a screenshot of a rendered movie (ProRes-422_BT709F_6K_25_HQ) in QuickTime Player (colour managed) sitting on top of the same frame in Lightroom (movie bottom, LR top). It's an accurate representation of the colour and gamma shift. A "Legal (TV)" version of the same render was even more different, but I expected that (after all your previous help).

Interestingly, the intermediate TIFFs match Lightroom (I opened a TIFF in Photoshop, converted it to my typical ProPhoto RGB working space, and compared it to the LR preview. It matches as exactly as I can make out visually).

So the colour shift is taking place when rendering the final movie, not when the TIFFs are rendered out of LR.

Can you offer further guidance? (I'm really hoping that this is not an M1 Mac problem).

ps. on a related note, I rendered this sequence as both 8-bit and 16-bit TIFFs, thinking that 16-bit would be better at representing the the subtle gradations in the sky. I compared frame 1 of both sets, and they are virtually identical, so I'll be rendering 8-bit TIFFs from now on, with vast savings in drive space. Great suggestion, as now I can comfortably keep the rendered TIFFs as my "master" files, for possible re-rendering for different movie versions (once I get the colour problem sorted, of course).
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#13 Gunther
There might indeed be some issues on mac, please check this thread that's also is linked in the faq: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-fin...1#pid47501
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#14 chasg
thanks for that pointer, I hadn't stumbled upon that thread myself.

Ah well, I remember when Macs dominated the photo-editing/design world because of their superior colour workflow. I may have to upgrade some hardware in my PC and run final renders from the LRT intermediate TIFFs on that machine from now on.

...also check out: