• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How do I adjust a holy grail keyframe's brightness

#1 willkistler
I've downloaded LRT4 and so far I love it.

In one of my timelapses I'd like to adjust the brightness of one of my holy grail keyframes to make it match perfectly with it's partner. What's the best way to do this, now that exposure is no longer tied to the holy grail keys?

Thanks!
#2 Gunther
Just don't mind about that. Even if the matching of keyframes is not perfect after the holy grail wizard, the visual deflicker will take care of it afterwards - no need to match anything manually anymore. Try it!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 willkistler
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I really like the new version! Thanks for your hard work.
#4 timelapser123
Sometimes it is not possible to get a good result with an automated deflicker, though, old style or the new visual deflicker. For instance, when shooting a hyperlapse, or shooting with a telephoto lens in windy conditions, the scene moves too much frame-to-frame to get a consistent reference area. And yet, it is still important to level the exposure before exporting to stabilize in After Effects.

The old method in LRT3 let me fine tune the exposure jumps manually. It was tedious, but necessary. I have already run into this problem with new holy grail hyperlapse footage in LRT4.

It would help if I understood how the HG luminance and deflicker values are manifested in the develop module. I cannot see how it changes the develop settings, and yet it changes the brightness of the image -- could you explain how these brightness changes are applied in Lightroom?
#5 Gunther
You can do this manually by just using the regular (blue) keyframes next to each other and changing exposure to your like, if really necessary althoug I still do not see why this should work better then the visual deflicker approach, since this makes nothing else then visually adjusting. If you can't set a reference area, just use the whole frame.
#6 timelapser123
Sometimes the contents of the frame itself vary too much since the RAW files are not stabilized, but I don't see how this could be fixed with an automated deflicker program. This is just a challenge inherent to doing holy grail hyperlapse shots, I suppose. Perhaps an exported JPEG sequence could be analyzed again after stabilization; if the luminance adjustments are fairly close on the initial workflow, it shouldn't require too much exposure adjustment on the stabilized JPEG sequence to smoothly deflicker it.

At any rate, the new visual workflow is a great improvement for static and rail timelapse shots. I've been able to go back and process many unprocessed static/rail sunrise/sunset scenes that I shelved in my backlog because they would be too laborious using the old workflow. Thanks for your hard work!
#7 Gunther
Just a tip: I aways do the stabilization for HL on the intermediary jpg sequence that LRTExport creates. Then I export again as a JPG sequence from AE. This way I can either render with LRTimelapse as usually, or I can load that sequence into LRTimelapse itself and do another delicker.

...also check out: