• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to price for construction companies (long term timelapse)?

#1 Novelectro
Hi All,

I've really been trying to get into the construction market for timelapse as it is getting easier to let your camera run for long periods of time and to send jpegs remotely.

Well, through a friend of a friend I finally have my first chance to do one of these. This first job would be 1 month long, but many of their projects are between 3 and 4 months. We decided that it might be best to try out a shorter one to begin with.

I think there is potential to partner with these guys on future jobs so I want to make it reasonable but I also want to make some money. They're not a huge company - I think they do like $15 million or so U.S. per year but apparently they do have an appetite for this type of content and the friend very much wants this sort of thing and knows that I am a good timelapse photographer.

I was thinking of pricing it to have 1. Setup cost (this would include setup/travel/etc.), 2. duration of time (thinking of pricing this monthly and discounting for longer durations and 3. Creating the video itself. (to add music and subtitles for things like "day 1, day 2, week 1, week 2, etc.").

So I was thinking I would price as $400 for setup and then $800 for 1 month duration. And for a 4 month duration I would charge maybe $600 per month. Video edit unless anything very unusual I would just charge $200. So a 1 month timelapse would be $1400 and a 4 month would be $3000. I would also provide some discounts if they wanted to do any add-ons like general photography work, single day timelapses while I am onsite, or video work in general.

What do you guys think? How do you price it?
#2 awmaurer
I know nothing about this topic; But based on my learning curve and equipment cost, you are cheap. make sure you can deliver on what you promise. I am following the same path and always thinking.
Best of skills
Tony
#3 similarbmk
Choosing the right screws for construction can be a tricky task, especially because there are many types of screws that you can use. I think the best ones are made out of metal, not plastic. This is because plastic is not so durable, which means it will break easily. On the other hand, metal is very durable and lasts a long time. If you look at many construction sites, you'll see that most use self tapping screws . The reason for this is that they are durable and can be used over and over again. Plastic screws might last a few months, but self-tapping screws won't need to be replaced soon.

...also check out: