• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

in-camera crops are not being cleared by LRT and LR editing

#1 chasg
Hi Gunther,

I don't usually set my cameras (Sony A7II, A7III and A7RII) to do in-body cropping (to 16:9), but I needed to on a recent shoot, for easy framing previews. I always clear that crop in LR, and more precisely crop at the video-editing stage (to match other clips).

But, for some reason, all of my LRT keyframes are maintaining their in-camera 16:9 crops in Visual Previews (but none of the non-keyframed images have this problem, they are un-cropped). I can't get rid of the crop: black bars top and bottom appear at every keyframe in the LRT Visual Previews (which messes up Visual Deflicker). These crops aren't present in LR.

I've reinitialised, I've cleared all LRT editing, I've reset the keyframe crop value in LR (I even cropped in a few pixels, saved that metadata, and then cleared the crop and saved _that_ metadata), but the 16:9 crops are persisting on the keyframes.

I'm running LRT Pro 5.6.2, LR 10.4, Camera raw 13.4, on a Mac running OSX 11.5.2

Can you guide me to any solutions? I'd be very grateful.

Chas
#2 Gunther
Hi Chas, in camera crops are nasty, because every camera marks them differently in the metadata and depending on the softwrae those crops sometimes are detected, sometimes not.
First thing I'd try is to synchronize only (!) the crop in Lightroom to all (!) images. See if that helps, if so, save Metadata for all images (not only the keyframes).
If it doesn't help, check this faq: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-rat...2#pid37712
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chasg
Thanks for the reply Gunther, I very much appreciate it.

Oh, what a pain! Well, that's the last time I ever crop in camera (over 1000 timelapses shot, and this is the first time I've cropped a TL in camera, because I thought it would save me some time, LOL).

After more playing around among LR, LRT and After Effects, I did discover that, if I crop in LR even a tiny bit (smallest I could do by hand with the crop tool was 6 pixels on the long edge), the in-camera crop flag was ignored by LRT and I could work as normal. It's still a bit of a pain, because I have some workflows that assume uncropped originals, but I can deal with that minor problem. As a test, I then removed the crop in LR and synchronised that change, and the in-camera crops reappeared.

Once this project is delivered, I'll have a more comprehensive read of the FAQ link you gave and see if I can do some Terminal workarounds on my Mac (though this is the last time I'll do in-camera crops!).

Cheers!

Chas

...also check out: