• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Install LRT on external SSD

#1 marcogrmgn
Hi there,
I'm making a new post because I couldn't find one related to this topic,
Considering I'm running short of GB on my internal SSD I'm wondering if it will be possible to run LRT plus Lightroom and After Effect on an external SSD.
The idea is stock RAW, catalogues and clips, all inside the external SSD.
Do you think the processing performance could be fine for a decent processing or I will slow down everything and make the processing eternal??

Thank you very much indeed for helping

Mark
#2 Gunther
You need to differentiate between the location where you install LRTimelapse and the location, where you put your timelapses on for editing.
1) LRTimelapse should be installed to the default location. On windows this is C:\Program Files and on mac under /Applications
The LRTimelapse binaries won't need much space.
2) You Timelapses should be on a rather fast drive when editing. Preferably it should be a SSD - it doesn't matter if internal opr external - but it should be fast. External SSD with USB3.1 / Thunderbolt can be quite fast if the computer also provides a fast USB interface. Personally I even work on a network drive, but that should have a 10 (!) GBit connection then.

In general, everything works - but the faster the better! :-)

After you finished editing, you can then move the folders with your timelapses to slower (and cheaper) drives. The Previews, Metadata etc. will be preserved because they are in the same folders.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 marcogrmgn
Thanks for you help, now I have my files on an external hard quite old, I thinking of upgrade to a Crucial X8 SSD and store my files there. Hope this could speed everything up. Do you have any suggestions for an external SSD?

Thank you very much indeed for helping me out
#4 Gunther
I've no specific recommendation. Make sure to have a USB 3.1 interface in your computer and on the external case for the SSD.
#5 marcogrmgn
I'm wondering if by using an SSD where store my file could improve processing time on LRT and LR, but i think that depends on my machine's specs.
#6 Gunther
Of course, storing your files on an SSD will considerably speed up things, that's what I recommended in one of my previous posts already.

...also check out: