• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Intervalometer and camera out of sync

#1 itstonyc
When shooting time-lapse I am always careful that my interval never exceeds my shutter speed.  On more than 1 occasion, I've noticed that when changing shutter speeds during a time-lapse I can hear that the rhythm of the shutter moves out of sync from what it was normally doing.  When I review the footage you can see the clouds jumping as if the interval was changed, which is was not.  Something is definitely going on... not sure what.  I usually have my preview display showing all the time so I can monitor the histogram, not sure if this would cause the issue but this doesn't always happen

I am using Canon 7D Mark ii so I know the buffer is not getting filled.  Any suggestions?
#2 Gunther
Normally this doesn't happen, if you change inbetween shots. I'd recommend to try another intervalometer and/or modify your release cable like explained here: http://lrtimelapse.com/news/intervalometer-hack/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 itstonyc
Wow, I have to cut and solder my wires?  Isn't there an intervalometer on the market where you can turn autofocus signal on and off?  I do not have a soldering iron and would probably destroy my intervalometer trying to do this.  Not very handy that way.  Any other solutions?
#4 aleks
Hi,

if soldering is not an option, you can try to cover the suitable ring of the jack with paint (or tape).
It is possible to buy paint which is hard enough, ask in rc model shops for that.
Tape is more easy in the first look, but beware of situations where the tape stays in your cam...

Or let someone who knows to solder build a extention cable without the focussing wire.

I have a similar problem with my pana gx8, which overules the remote shutter release impulse, if i make changes in the menus to the wrong moment. Changes in the primary controls (as shutter time or iso) are not problematic in my case.
#5 itstonyc
Thanks for both of your replies... though I'm not sure taping or painting is the best solution.  Seems there is a serious need in the market for this feature to be included on intervalometers.  

Gunther, you ever consider manufacturing such a device?  Crazy that Canon or Nikon has not incorporated this feature.  A standard intervalometer with a simple feature that will toggle on or off the autofocus signal.  Seems like a no brainer compared to taping, painting or soldering in a world where time-lapse hotography has become very popular

Thoughts on this?
#6 Gunther
There is no intervalometer I know of that does not trigger AF. And my solution only involves modifying a cable for 2 or 3 US$, this will not damage the intervalometer. I for myself am not a hardware manufacturer and don't have the time for a project like that too.
But I agree, a simple adapter available on the market would be more then handy.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#7 seawildearth
Are you using autofocus?
"A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"
#8 chasg
Just fyi: I did the modifications to my cables and just twisted them together and taped them, not soldered (I taped in a straightened paperclip over the join, to prevent flexing).

...also check out: