• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Lightroom crashes when exporting large sequences via LRTExport Plugin

#1 Gunther
Exporting sequences of multiple thousand images via a custom export plugin (like LRTExport, but not limited to) consistantly makes Lightroom Classic 11.4 (and later Prereleases) crash. This happens on Windows and Mac machines.

This is an issue that has already been reported by various users and I've been investigating this for days now and I came to the conclusion, that it's a bug that Adobe introduced in Lightroom 11.4 and it's still present in the latest Prereleases.

I coded a very simple export plugin to take out the complexity that the LRTExport plugin offers, and this plugin shows the same issues.
There is no problem, with shorter sequences of several hundreds images only, as it appears.

Here is the download link for the plugin, if you want to replicate it without LRTExport: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiq8roh5v7vggj...2.zip?dl=1

The more images you export via a plugin, the faster and more often the crash happens. With 4000 images for example, often after 10 images Lightroom closes. In some cases it sends a crash report to Adobe, in some cases it just closes. If you experience this, please send the crash report to Adobe!! (see my video below)

Another scenario that I observed a couple of times is that the plugins stops logging and updating the progressbar but the export actually continues in background (filling up the export folder). Then obviously you also can't stop the export via the X button anymore. Later mostly LR will then crash at some time.

I can reproduce these issues in 100% of all cases when exporting several thousand images.

I went back to Lightroom Classic 11.3.1, where everything works fine in the same scenario and this is the work around that I currently recommend to all LRTimelapse users. An alternative would be to use the internal LRTimelapse export and render, which is, of course, not affected.

I filed a bug report at adobe and can only hope that they take it seriously and start working on it asap. I will do whatever I can to support this, but my options here are limited.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom...997#M35370
If you could "upvote" my Bug-Report at Adobe (click on "Upvote" on the top right) that might help to prioritize this. Thanks!

UpdateI made a video, where I show the issue and how to replicate it with a simple export plugin:
https://youtu.be/kTiuRw537RE

If you have any own findings, please let me know.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#2 Ulli
voted and commented
"glad" that's not only with my machine ;-)

Same problem here. Since 11.4 with and without GPU-acceleration LR also crashes with it's own export "E-Mail, to disk without any notice. In one test after 681 exported jpgs (two of them not readable - crash probably during writing process), next one after 361 with the same pictures. The same with different pictures

So no problem with the LRT-export plugin, not a broken file or similar ...
#3 identitaet
Hi there,

for what it's worth: I would like to add that I am not able to re-produce this issue on the Mac ARM version. This works fine at this point.

I am going to vote for the issue with Adobe and hope that it will be resolved very soon.
#4 Gunther
Did you watch my Video and tried to reproduce it exactly as I did? It's important to use a large amount of images, like 5000. Also you need to check the log file in parallel to see that something is wrong. On some machines LR doesn't seem to crash, but the export plugin halts, which is then visible in the log. See: https://youtu.be/kTiuRw537RE
The log of the demo plugin that I provided on the Adobe page will be created in Documents\LRClassicLogs
#5 Ulli
Not sure if this strange behaviour is connected somehow to the here discussed LR export bug but I've a extremely slow output from a 2100 picture sequence (O.K. - it's 8k resolution) where only 5 frame are exported in a row with several minutes break between. With another sequence I noticed, that the progress bar was unusual slow at the beginning but the export finished finally in a fraction of the time I predicted after 10%.
Also sometimes a strange order in writing he files occur - LRT_00022.jpg ist written 2 min befor LRT_00021.jpg

Anyone who can confirm such a behaviour?

Edit: While in the choosen export folder a drive D (a SSD) after round about 90 minutes there are only 50 files on the system drive (another ssd) in l\AppData\Local\Temp\85D98E0E-6CDC-4C63-99CF-B1765304C7AA are further 1500 exported files but the LR progress indicator says 3%

Uli
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#6 Gunther
This might be related. Please downgrade Lightroom to 11.3.1 and see, if that helps.
If it helps, it might help if you add your experiences to the thread in the adobe forum: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom...997#M35370
#7 kyays
Had the same issue; reverting to 11.3.1 resolved the export stalling.
I am on PC, my sequence is ~1000 photos.
#8 Bas
Voted and commented. Glad you are sorting this out and are actively getting something done. It was driving me mad at first.
I'm at 11.3.1 for the time being.
www.thetimewriters.com - recording the future
#9 Gunther
I'm still in close contact with Adobe regarding this Lightroom bug and it seems they found the issue and will release a fix soon.
#10 Bas
That sounds really nice!
www.thetimewriters.com - recording the future

...also check out: