• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New compact camera ?

#1 npaisnel
At the moment I use a Canon 5D MkII with qDSLR running on a Peppermint linux laptop..

All great but a bit bulky for every day carry once I add my 24 hour made in Dewalt power tool box" power supply

I also use a 10MP Olympus ZX-1 with external intervalometer..and manually adjust the exposure for Holy Grail.

But I'd like to 'modernise' my compact system, to run qDSLR on some Android table and some ultra compact type zoom non changeable lens camera like the Sony RX100V

But i have no idea what to choose..what will be compatible with WiFi / Blue tooth connection to an Android tablet running qDSLR

So, what are my options for Camera and tablet? need to be small camera..like the ZX-1 or RV100

I want small camera as I fly for a living so need it to be able to fit my flight bag, Big SLR sized cameras are out.

Look froward to your idea
#2 Gunther
I don't know about any compact camera that is supported by qDdslrDashboard. I think the lightest and smallest option might be a Nikon D5x00 with a light lens. Also most compact cameras don't allow for external intervalometers. In my opinion compact cameras are not well suited for timelapse photography because of their limitations.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 npaisnel
The Olympus ZX-1 does the external intervalometer, shoots RAW, f1.8 at but no WiFi or Bluetooth connection.
I have an upcoming trip to Nepal and anything as big as an SLR even the Nikon you mention is way too big.

Will just keep searching.
#4 Gunther
I also travel a lot. At the end you will regret not taking a "real" camera, even if the compact ones promise a lot, the results will mostly disappoint if the sensor is smaller than APS-C. Mostly their raw files will lack dynamic range for editing. Personally, I'd rather leave clothes at home than not bring a decent camera on such a trip. :-) But that's your decision, of course...
#5 npaisnel
Unfortunately not my decision. It is a government sponsored trip and I am actually not allowed to take big camera/ SLR, it has been specified.

Also have second reason, I am pilot and I like to carry camera in cockpit flight bag… and just carry just the one camera… taking the Canon 5D as well is not an option in main crew bag. So I am trying to find one camera that ticks all boxes.
The Olympus ZX-1 is small, shoots RAW and runs external intervalometer, was hoping to find one that also had qDSLR connection.

If I take 5D it means. Laptop too! ?. Just can’t carry that much kit.

Clothing for this trip is two T-shirts, one pair shorts, one pair jeans…and boots… will be wearing half! SLR not an option..
#6 Gunther
qDslrDashboard runs on any Android phone, no need for a laptop. But as I said, it doesn't support compact cameras.
#7 npaisnel
I do need a laptop to run my Canon 5D as I do not have Android phone..and I have not yet looked on how to connect the Canon 5D to an Android tablet..I do have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet..guess that is Android..but not checked it never used it ...coudl look to see if that could connect tot he 5D..but still even if it did , still no good for the current situation.

I have always just used the ZX-1 when at work and on a lay-over, and just done manual exposure adjustment. Was jsut wanting to see if I could upgrade to qDSLR while being mobile.
#8 Gunther
Come on, you can get a used Android Phone for 50 bucks. That will be perfect for qDDB and really light weight.
#9 npaisnel
Just been given a Google Tab plus for free ..so that will likely do Android 7.0.1 or there about

...also check out: