• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 Fourth Dimension
I have tried my first sunset with LRTimelapse following the holy grail method. I matched the exposure in lightroom between the holy grail key points. I get these jumps in brightness of the sun, why is this and how can I smooth these out? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://vimeo.com/64626372
#2 alexnail
(2013-04-23, 12:34)Fourth Dimension Wrote: I have tried my first sunset with LRTimelapse following the holy grail method. I matched the exposure in lightroom between the holy grail key points. I get these jumps in brightness of the sun, why is this and how can I smooth these out? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As the sun comes down the scene gets darker so you increase the exposure to compensate (it looks like you are doing this 1 stop at a time). Since sunsets are quite colourful and the sun is bright you often find that a correctly exposed sunset image results in clipped highlights. The clipping will be most apparent when you make your exposure jump. Once you have captured a sequence of RAW files like this there is nothing you can do to correct it. If you shot in jpeg (you didnt say what format you were shooting in but I assume it was RAW) then this problem will be totally unavoidable with sunsets no matter what you do because of the increased clipping.

In future there are a number of things you can do:
- Shoot RAW if you weren't already
- Use smaller jumps in exposure. Most cameras can do 1/3rd of a stop these days. This will make the effect significantly less obvious and is, in my opinion, the first thing you shout try.
- Change the exposure - underexposing the images further, but processing them brighter should reduce the appearance of this effect.
- Reduce saturation and contrast - If you over saturate or add too much contrast in Lightroom it will exagerrate the clipping problem. Low contrast, low saturation processing will result in less clipping.
- Shoot at a wider focal length - it goes without saying that the bigger the sun is in the image the more obvious this effect could be
- Exposure bracket - create 3 identical sequences at different exposures and crossfade between then - this hopefully wont be necessary!

Alex
#3 Fourth Dimension
(2013-04-23, 19:17)alexnail Wrote:
(2013-04-23, 12:34)Fourth Dimension Wrote: I have tried my first sunset with LRTimelapse following the holy grail method. I matched the exposure in lightroom between the holy grail key points. I get these jumps in brightness of the sun, why is this and how can I smooth these out? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As the sun comes down the scene gets darker so you increase the exposure to compensate (it looks like you are doing this 1 stop at a time). Since sunsets are quite colourful and the sun is bright you often find that a correctly exposed sunset image results in clipped highlights. The clipping will be most apparent when you make your exposure jump. Once you have captured a sequence of RAW files like this there is nothing you can do to correct it. If you shot in jpeg (you didnt say what format you were shooting in but I assume it was RAW) then this problem will be totally unavoidable with sunsets no matter what you do because of the increased clipping.

In future there are a number of things you can do:
- Shoot RAW if you weren't already
- Use smaller jumps in exposure. Most cameras can do 1/3rd of a stop these days. This will make the effect significantly less obvious and is, in my opinion, the first thing you shout try.
- Change the exposure - underexposing the images further, but processing them brighter should reduce the appearance of this effect.
- Reduce saturation and contrast - If you over saturate or add too much contrast in Lightroom it will exagerrate the clipping problem. Low contrast, low saturation processing will result in less clipping.
- Shoot at a wider focal length - it goes without saying that the bigger the sun is in the image the more obvious this effect could be
- Exposure bracket - create 3 identical sequences at different exposures and crossfade between then - this hopefully wont be necessary!

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for replying.

I did shoot in RAW. I have had a look and my exposures go from 1/20 to 1/8 to 0.3 to 1 to 3.2.

This is my first time trying this method so will take on board your advice. Just a shame as that was in Key West and I am now home in UK. I did shoot wide at about 16mm but I cropped in as there was some ugly rooftops in the front of the frame, will try it un-cropped.

Thanks again
#4 alexnail
(2013-04-24, 15:04)Fourth Dimension Wrote: I have had a look and my exposures go from 1/20 to 1/8 to 0.3 to 1 to 3.2.

Those are exposure jumps of more than 1-stop (about 1.5 stops in most cases). rather than going something like 1/20, 1/15, 1/13, 1/10, 1/8 etc

That creates way more work in LRTimelapse and may be 'overkill' but it would massively reduce the effect you see.
#5 Fourth Dimension
(2013-04-24, 16:06)alexnail Wrote:
(2013-04-24, 15:04)Fourth Dimension Wrote: I have had a look and my exposures go from 1/20 to 1/8 to 0.3 to 1 to 3.2.

Those are exposure jumps of more than 1-stop (about 1.5 stops in most cases). rather than going something like 1/20, 1/15, 1/13, 1/10, 1/8 etc

That creates way more work in LRTimelapse and may be 'overkill' but it would massively reduce the effect you see.

Thanks will do that for my next sunset I shoot.

...also check out: