• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sync Keyframes producing weird washed out effect

#1 woogs138
Hello,

I'm trying to make a mask for the sky vs foreground for a holy grail time lapse. I've created a mask I'm happy with and would like to sync across all keyframes. In doing so, I'm seeing a weird washed out effect on some of them when making an attempt to sync keyframes. Literally the only change I've done is create a new radiant mask with absolutely no changes to any parameter. When I sync to all other key frames, it washes out the applied frame(s) as if I've cranked the exposure. Has anyone ever seen this before? Thanks in advance.
#2 Gunther
You need to use the masks that LRTimelapse created upon initialization. That's explained in all tutorials and intructions.
Don't add any new masks, don't remove masks. Did you do that?
Please try again: remove the sequence from lightroom, then in LRTimelapse to "Metadata / Initialize". Now do the workflow. When coming to Lightroom for editing, open the mask tool and you'll see a couple of predefined masks. Use the ones that are marked for editing (not those for internal use).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 woogs138
It appears to be doing this upon importing. I've done as you said. Removed the sequence from Lightroom and initialized metadata. In the Lightroom library, the photo appears normal. When I open it up to develop, it's all washed out. This is all without any editing or changing of any parameters. I even went so far as initializing metadata and clearing the Lightroom catalog. Still produces the same result.
#4 Gunther
Did you do the fresh start that I recommended by removing the sequence from Lightroom and doing Metadata / Initiaize in LRTimelapse.
This will reset all settings to defaults.
Lightroom will show Camera Previews after importing. Those don't necessarily correspod with what you see after switching to "Develop" Module. That's now Lightroom editing the files with neutral settings. Here now you can start to do your own edits.

If you can't get it going, please record a screencast to show what you are doing, otherwise it's quite impossible for me to help since I also don't have enough information (which files, from which camera for example would be important). What you say now also doesn't seem to be related with your initial post (masks). So please clarify.
#5 woogs138
I did do the fresh start. I originally began with keyframe #12. I wanted to begin editing there because it was the “best” keyframe. The “money” shot if you will. I created a mask for the sky using one of the preexisting masks you had suggested. When I went to sync to all other keyframes (using the script), I noticed that the very first keyframe in the library changed. It was all blown out, like over exposed. At this time, I did as you suggested. Removed the sequence from Lightroom and initialized the metadata in LRTL. It occurred to me at this time that perhaps it would be best to begin editing with the first keyframe instead of the 12th keyframe, that maybe this is what was causing the problem. I opened up the first keyframe using the develop module to begin editing and it was then that I saw that it was all overexposed.

It's a Sony a7rIII, RAW files.

I know this is complicated and there are many variables. I'll email you a screencast.

I would like to also take this time to express my gratitude for you and your relentless dedication to your work and LR Timelapse. I’m somewhat new to this hobby and am just barely beginning to scratch the surface in my learning phase here so I appreciate your attention on this.
#6 Gunther
Hi Brian,
since this is a holy grail sequence, the Holy Grail wizard will compensate for brightness changes.
If you have a look at the orange compensation curve (turn off visual previews by toggeling the button) you will see that at the beginning of the sequence that curve is probably way above the middle line. This means, brightness will get increased.
The reason for the 2 sliders in the holy grail wizard is, that you should use them to bring the orange curve as close to the horizontal middle line as possible to avoid to heavy brightness adjustemns as you are experiencing them. But especially wich such high dynamic sequences, you can only do so much.
Do the best you can, then, in Lightroom when editing the keyframes use the exposure slider to bring set the desired brightness on the keyframes, you can then counter compensate for any HG wizard adjustmens that might be too strong.
This is also explained in the holy grail tutorial: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/

...also check out: