• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The timelapse-function on the DJI RSC2 does not focus the Nikon Z6II

#1 icewater
I am the proud new owner of the Nikon Z6II and the DJI Ronin RSC2. The RSC2 offers a timelapse-function that is ingenious: In conjunction with the zoom motor and the individually configurable moves, professional timelapse-recordings can be made. Unfortunately with one problem: the Nikon 6ZII does not focus on the individual images during the timelapse process. I tested AF-S and AF-C settings - unfortunately without success. With the AF-F mode, the camera will focus continuously. But this mode is only available in the video area.
In AF-S and AF-C modes, the shutter release button on the Z6II must be pressed halfway in order for the camera to focus. The RSC-2 does not seem to transmit this impulse. How is it with other camera systems?
The only way to solve the problem is to combine the camera's interval function with the timelapse-function of the RSC-2. To do this, the cable connection must be unplugged and the two systems work independently. In the interval function there is the option "Focus before every shutter release". That is exactly the trigger that RSC-2 should also bring. Does anyone have any other idea how to solve the problem? Is it possible to specify in the settings of the Z6II that it is focused without a resolver?
#2 Gunther
Why would you want to focus with timelapse? Timelapse photographers ever use autofocus. Just set the focus before you begin your sequence and then set the camera to manual focus. Focus usually doesn't change while shooting a timelapse.

If someone uses Autofocus while shooting timelapse, he/she can almost be certain that that would mess up that shooting. Cameras never focus accurately for hundreds of sequences. You'd get nasty pumping or shifting.
Also make sure to turn off any in camera stabilization.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 icewater
Thank you very much for your reply. With regard to landscape photography, that is certainly correct. In a test recently, I just noticed that I would have liked to have had a focus tracking in a timelapse panning from the foreground into a larger whole. - But what you write is completely clear. I'm looking forward to the new version 6 from you! Do you already know when the beta phase will end?
#4 Gunther
It will end, wenn the beta testers are confirming that everything is stable on their systems. Feel free to also test and give me feedback, if you want!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: