• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Time lapse with electronic shutter, questions

#1 sergio76x
Hello, I know it is a discussed and re-discussed topic, but I recently bought a canon r6 and I discovered the electronic shutter mode. Being also a time lapse enthusiast, I tried to make one with the electronic shutter and I was satisfied with it, so I would like to do others in this mode but I would like to ask a few questions to those who use electronic with time lapse for some time. 
1) First of all I would like to immediately ask for a clarification on the question of pointing the camera in the direction of the sun by shooting in time lapse and using the electronic shutter, on some forums I have read that someone has damaged the sensor, but in what sense did they point the mirrorless towards the sun to damage the sensor? I mean, if I use for example a 24-105 and I compose the shooting scene at focal 24, 50 or 100 in which the sun is also present, whether it is at sunset or at noon, do I risk burning the sensor? isn't that these people have used a telephoto lens like a 200, 300 or higher making a close-up on the sun? 
2) My second question concerns the holy grails, knowing the limitations of the electronic shutter compared to the mechanical shutter (on my r6 for example the longest exposure time is 0.5 sec), if I making an holy grail with a brighter city in the scene, can the artificial light s create artifacts?
3) Last question, are the shots taken with the electronic shutter counted by the software available on the internet as for the mechanical shutter? and if they are counted, is all a single electronic + mechanical counting done or is it differentiated?  I ask because if the electronic shots are counted, can they affect the evaluation of the mirrorless in case of resale?

Thanks for the replies.
Sergio
#2 c_joerg
The biggest disadvantage with electronic shutter for me would be the dynamic range. With the electronic shutter, only 12 bits instead of 14 bits are stored in the RAW. With that you lose 1.5EV dynamics.
Quote:Last question, are the shots taken with the electronic shutter counted by the software available on the internet as for the mechanical shutter? and if they are counted, is all a single electronic + mechanical counting done or is it differentiated? I ask because if the electronic shots are counted, can they affect the evaluation of the mirrorless in case of resale?
The camera counts both values, electronic and mechanical.
All the tools I've seen only show the sum.
The values and much more can be read out with a Canon Basic Script ( Reply #44):
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index....c=25305.25

...also check out: