• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Time lapse with Nikon D800

#1 dkirkland
I'm just starting to do time lapse with a Nikon D800E. It can create the time lapse video in the camera. This is fast and easy but is it better to take individual RAW images and do the normal post processing for best results. I also just got Lightroom 4 and soon will be using PS CS6 which has video processing capability. Video is new for me so I'm trying to sort out the workflow to get good results both with time lapse and regular video. Any information about how best to proceed will be most appreciated.
#2 Gunther
Hi, I suggest you start with the LRTimelapse-Lightroom Workflow as outlined in the tutorial/workflows section on the main page. It's the easiest way to go. Later you can switch over to more advanced Workflows for example with After Effects, but that's more difficult and won't necessarily give you better results.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 dkirkland
Thanks for the reply. When I ordered PS CS6 I was told that it can be used to make adjustments such as brightness, contrast, etc. to video similar to what can be done for still images. If that is true it seems that it would be much faster and easier to create the time lapse video in the D800E camera and then do the post processing. Just to be sure are you saying that the best results will be achieved by making adjustments to the individual RAW files prior to outputting the video? For the D800 with its 36 mp sensor it will be a slow process to download, adjust, and output the hundreds of image files required to make a 10 to 15 second video.
#4 Gunther
Making adjustments afterwards in video won't give you a fraction of the possibilities you get when doing them on the raw material. The D800 is certainly not the predestinated camera for time lapse because of the huge images it produces. But anyway, if you wan't to shoot serious time lapse with key-framing, deflickering etc. go for RAW editing and use LRTimelapse.
If you want some quick results in constant lightning stiuations use the time lapse (video) abilities of the D800. The thing is that the MOV files generated won't give you much headroom for editing afterwards...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 dkirkland
Thanks again for the information. It's very much appreciated.

...also check out: