• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Version 5.5 Slow boot-up - 1.5 minutes

#1 jgardiner
I just upgraded to 5.5 from 5.4. It takes 1.5 minutes for LRTimelapse to load on my brand new MacBook Pro (fully loaded, 64gb, 2 TB SSD).
What's should I do? Re-install? Is this normal?
#2 Gunther
Of course that's not normal. Did you allow disk access for all folders (Documents, etc.) that LRTimelapse asked for?
If not, you can try allowing "full disk access" and see if that helps: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-wil...-and-later

It would be interesting to know, at which stage during the startup it stalls - is it when the splash screen is being shown? What does it display?
Please send me the log file after it finally started, you'll find it in Documents/LRTimelapse
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 kcbauer
I'm seeing exactly the same thing on my iMac. Catalina 10.15.6, 32GB Memory, i7 4Ghz Quad core.

With 5.4, I don't have timings on the startup but it was maybe 15 seconds or so.

I saw your response making sure full disk access was allowed for LRTimelapse. That was checked. I've tried it with removing that access and using the Files and Folders access with access to Removable volumes (where my images are) as well as Documents, Downloads, Desktop checked in that group. In either case my startup time is about 1.5 minutes. Splash screen says "Launching user interface..."
#4 Gunther
As I said, I'd need the log file to see what's going on. You'll find it under info menu / show log after LRTimelapse comes up, or in Documents/LRTimelapse.
Please send it to support(at)lrtimelapse.com
#5 Steve L
I'm seeing the exact same problem on a Mac Pro 2019 running MacOS Catalina 10.15.6. Also takes ages to get past splash screen when it gets to the "Loading User Interface" message. Total time past hang could be about 1.5 mins, but to be honest I didn't time it exactly - it felt too long. Loads successfully after that. LRT 5.4 used to lead pretty much instantaneously on the same machine. Checked security setting and LRT has folder access.
#6 Gunther
If you were working on a rather slow external drive with many folders, LRTimelapse will try to reload that folder structure on restart. This could take some time then. It's recommended to put your timelapse sequences you work on on a fast SSD.

To check, if this is really the reason, please close LRTimelapse and then delete the LRTimelapse preferences:

To do so, open a Terminal in Mac, then enter: (exchange YOURUSERNAME with the name of the user you are signed in in your MacOS).

Code:
rm /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/LRTimelapse/user.props

then try starting LRTimelapse once again. Lif that et me know if that helps.
#7 jroo
Thanks. I removed user.props and restarted but there's still a 90 second delay. Also, I'm not using an external drive or folder, everything was already imported to my hard drive before loading LRTimelapse. I emailed my full logs but here's an excerpt that might help:

The first gap (50 seconds) between log events happens here:

[2020-09-08 09:24:13] DEBUG: Initializing directory chooser
[2020-09-08 09:25:03] DEBUG: Preview Color Management not activated. You can activate it in the Settings.

There's a second gap (32 seconds) between log events that happens here:

[2020-09-08 09:25:04] INFO: Latest Version of LRTimelapse: 5.4.0 (2020-03-10), installed Version: 5.5 (2020-08-29)
[2020-09-08 09:25:36] DEBUG: Using temp-dir: /var/folders/ty/nc0h04vx4zd7xhpw2m6zqb000000gn/T/lrt_7277449567567674572

Thanks!
#8 kcbauer
I had 5.5.0 Beta 3 installed on my laptop. It opens quickly. So something happened between Beta 3 and the final release. My primary machine is my iMac as noted earlier this thread. Guess I could install the final release on this laptop and see if it is also very slow on startup. Don't know if that helps debug the problem. I can send the log file from the 5.5.0 Beta 3 if that would be of use.
#9 kcbauer
In reference to the location of the folders and files for LRTimelapse. Mine are on a Thunderbolt connected external. I re-installed 5.4 and it starts in about 10 seconds. So it isn't the location of the folders.
#10 Gunther
I've just uploaded a 5.5.1_b1 and put it on the download page, which should fix the long startup time.
https://lrtimelapse.com/download

...also check out: