• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Queued operations on a single timelapse

#1 davejs81
After I have created my keyframes and color graded my keyframes, I usually then do the same set of operations, each one resulting in a large period of processing which can take a very long time.
I have to go away and do other stuff while these lengthy processings are taking place. If I forget to come back to start the next operation, this can set me back by a long time. Often I just need to click a single thing and don't need to make any decisions.

It would be nice to be able to make all of the decisions up-front after performing my color-grade and have the program automatically do them in order.
A dialog would ask for your deflicker settings and a queue of renders (pre-set profiles is fine). Then hitting 'Go' would do the following (and I can go do something else):

1. Reload metadata from Lightroom
2. Calculate Auto-transition
3. Load visual previews
4. Deflicker by set amount
5. Load visual previews again (not sure if necessary)
6. Render using my HQ profile
7. Render using my LQ profile
8. 'Ding!'

This program is a lifesaver! As always, keep up the fantastic work.
#2 Gunther
You should definitely watch this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGCJMbgv5iQ
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 davejs81
I watched this tutorial, which pertains to performing operations on multiple sequences, but that's not really the feature I was describing. That said, queuing multiple renders with Ctrl looks useful - I presume this works on the same sequence?

I'm mainly trying to address the time I lose on one sequence because I have to click a button in between lengthy operations, and whether these decisions could be pre-set, queued and automatically performed. Of course, this would also be awesome on multiple sequences too.

Perhaps my situation is an edge case: working on one sequence a day - comparatively large single sequences (4k, ~2500 images) on a relatively low-power PC. Currently doing a single sequence is taking a good part of a day to finish because I'm leaving my PC to work elsewhere while it processes one operation and have to arrange to come back to kick off the next one.

Keep up the awesome work!
#4 Gunther
I think what you are doing is quite uncommon - most timelapses are not 2500 images (that's nearly 1 and a half minutes of video, who would watch that?!) - and additionally you seem to be working on a slow hardware if you need a full day for editing one of those sequences.

LRTimelapse is not designed to automate everything - it's designed to help doing the work on timelapse sequences the most efficient and flexible way.

In the tutorial that I mentioned, I've also explained the batch features that offer shortcuts for visual preview generation and visual deflicker those should help with your workflow a lot.
You can do batch intialization and preview generation there.
After doing the second workflow row you can switch away from the sequence that is generating the VP and it will ask you to end that process in background and add a visual previews step.

Also for rendering there are batch operations. You can select multiple intermediary sequences of different timelapses and let them render one after each other in background.

All in all timelapse processing is a task that is demanding to any computer. If you need to wait too long, you should consider going for a faster hardware. Or reconsinder stipping down the amount of images. I don't know about your scenario, but usually if you shoot long term timelapse, people would use the long term filters to get rid of unnecessary images to bring down the amount of images to process.

Maybe if I knew a bit more about your scenario (which type of sequences are those? How many keyframes do you usually use? Are those holy Grail sequences? Construction timelapse? What do you do with the results?) I could think about how to optimize your workflow.
#5 davejs81
Well, I clearly brought this upon myself! Here's my scenario:

I'm capturing the sunrise each morning. I set my camera up around 6am (getting earlier this week) and then go back to bed, or to the gym. So I'm not using Holy Grail, just letting shutter speed do the work, and it works fine in most cases. The sun gets a little blown out at the end of the sequence, but that's not a problem.

I have a lot of images because I want 60fps videos. Using motion interpolation to achieve this hasn't provided nice results so far (using Flow Frames, at least). I find that complex clouds are too chaotic for it to interpolate nicely.

I'm collecting a series of 10-ish sunrises (weather permitting) and editing them into a 60fps music video (personal project, so I don't use Pro... yet). I won't use all parts of all of the sequences, but I want masters of everything so I have options for the video.

I guess I just have to be patient because I've decided to do something insane Smile
#6 Gunther
Yeah... For the batch operations you'd need a Pro license. They would help to speed things up for sure.

...also check out: