• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

when rendering from tiffs, does LRT renderer write scratch files to boot drive? (OSX)

#1 chasg
Hi All,

When recently rendering in LRT from a set of 10,300 8-bit TIFF files, I noticed free space on my boot drive shrinking rapidly. When I stopped the render (as the boot drive was rapidly approaching zero space), that space was restored (about 80GB worth).

All of the source TIFFs, plus the LR catalog, are on external SSDs with plenty of space free, not on the boot drive. LRT and LR are themselves on the boot drive.

I was rendering the movie to the same directory that the folder of TIFFs was in. I've done this workflow hundreds, if not thousands, of times in the past, but I've never rendered from this many TIFFs before.

Does LRT write to the boot drive when rendering? Perhaps scratch files of some type? If yes, how can I prevent this (as I fear this huge render will never happen now, and that I'll have to split it up).

Render settings:
rendering from 10,300 8-bit TIFFs (generated by LRT plugin in Lightroom), sitting on USB-C SSD (10GB/sec) with 1.2TB free space
Codec: prores
Output size: original size, which is 7952 x 5304 (raws were from from a Sony A7RII)
Quality: high
Speed fps: 25
Color sampling: 422
Video Levels: Legal
Gamut: BT.709

M1 Mac Mini, 16GB RAM
OSX Monterey 12.4
LRT: 6.0.6 build 799
LR: 11.3.1 (had to downgrade from 11.4.1 because of known rendering issue)
Camera Raw 14.3

Many thanks in advance for any insights.

Chas
#2 Gunther
LRTimelapse will use the temp folder defined in the OS Settings when rendering.
If you have that on your boot drive, better set the temp location to another folder.
Here is how to do that on Windows: https://stackhowto.com/how-to-change-tem...indows-10/
You might want to Google on how to do it on mac.
You'll find the currently used temp folder provided by the OS in the LRTimelapse Log (info menu / show log).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chasg
Thanks Gunther, for the info.

For anyone who might stumble upon this thread, my LRT log shows that my temp folder is:

/var/folders/ks/vy00r0_d2g1g_54xc6wvh__c0000gn/T/

A bit of googling has come up with several articles discussing temp storage and caches on OSX, and they all have one thing in common: they stress not to mess with the contents of the temp folder! I'm going to assume that this also means not to mess with its location, either.

I haven't found any OSX articles equivalent to the useful Windows article that Gunther linked to (I was hoping to find some nice, clear, Terminal commands). So, I can think of only one way to "move" the temp folder in OSX: using symlinks. Someone else may want to try this, I'm going to just split up my giant sequence into two folders of TIFFs and combine the two renders afterwards in Premiere.
#4 Gunther
Please feel free to request a custom location for the LRT temp folder independently of the OS in the feature request forum: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Forum-lrti...e-requests
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 chasg
I'll do so, thanks.

...also check out: