• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Strange Peak in Holy Grail Luminance Adjustment

#1 VerticalDubai
Hi everyone,

I've been using the HG method with LRTimelapse 4.4 a lot lately and the results are very impressive!

However, last night I did a manual day to night here in Dubai with 35s intervals and 4s maximum exposure. I understand it might be difficult to match luminance levels and get a smooth transition if the light changes as much as it does here, where a sunset is pretty much done in 20-30min. Anyway, I manually changed the settings as well as I could in order to keep the exposure on spot for each frame. Ramped into night time and then let the camera roll until the morning. I cam back and did the whole thing in reverse, ramping into the sunrise.

Now that I am processing the shot I am encountering a strange behaviour when I click the Holy Grail Wizard. It produces a spike / peak in the sunrise section and I have no idea where it comes from. Please have a look at the attached screenshot that shows the respective section with its metadata. When I just scroll through the unedited frames there is nothing unusual and no super weird flicker. And yet, as per the holy grail wizard an extreme compensation is required which totally messes up this part of the shot when I look at the visual previews (the screenshot was taken during a second attempt to undergo the whole process again, hence no visual previews are there yet).

Screenshot

Any ideas what could be the reason?

Thanks a lot in advance, really appreciate your help!

Regards,
Sebastian
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
That's why I always recommend to leave at least one frame, better two between the holy grail camera adjustments.
If you do one adjustment after the other on subsequent frames, the algorithm can only compensate for the exif-adjustments, but won't be able to follow the natural changes in lighting. This leads to that effect.

I'd suggest to do this sequence without the holy grail wizard (right click on the - use only the visual deflicker to get it smooth. And next time take care to leave some room between the adjustments... :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 VerticalDubai
Thanks Gunther! 

Sounds absolutely reasonable. Will try just to deflicker and otherwise reshoot it with a shorter interval in order to get more frames.

Regards,
Sebastian

...also check out: