• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Blurry--double exposed--video render

#1 RDBaumann
Can anyone help with this problem--I am an experienced LRT user, all my time lapse videos have turned out very good. i have tried to complete a 668 frame video and am on my fourth try. Each time, I start again from scratch and work through the entire workflow as prompted by Gunter in the support tutorial video for LRT5 (running 5.8). Each time the video looks perfect in the preview pane but the actual render looks like each frame is double exposed. When i look at the first frame in the preview pane and on the original images in LR, they are fine but the first frame in the rendered video is a mess. The actual video render is terrible--all frames look double exposed. this is the first time this has happened.

The video settings are 30 FPS, 1:1, everything in default, smoothing on. What am I missing? I will admit that because of the cloud movement, the I had to run the smoothing algorithm multiple times, but it looks great in the preview. I dumped the original images, cleared all the folders and started over twice. Not a clue... I have sampled a number of frames after coming back from LR they are all perfect in the LRT data.

I should add the sequence was shot on a stationary gimbal that was in pan during the shoot. I processed two others that were taken the same way, same settings and they are fine.
#2 Gunther
Most likely you have a fast changing timelapse and activated motion blur in the render dialog. This will fade adjacent images and smoothen everything, but of course, if you have very fast timelapses or were shooting with motion control, you might see ghost images.

My general advice would be: if motion blur causes "ghosting" most likely your timelapse is too fast. Especially fast pans tend to not look very "cinematic".
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 RDBaumann
Thank you Gunther--You do an amazing job developing your software suite and supporting customers. I went back and reviewed your commentary on the use of motion blur and began to adjust that variable in the render. Sure enough, the "ghosting" as you called it diminished dramatically as the effect of that setting was turned down. With motion control involved, I can see that there is some kind of a balance that is needed to set up the shot keeping in mind the effect of motion blur in the render, plus or minus. The closeness of the foreground, the pace of the motion movement on a slider or gimbal, the shooting interval and the render settings all seem to interact. Is there a reference you can recommend that ties this all together? I am grateful for your ultra-fast response and support. Thank you for that.
#4 Gunther
My guideline would be the slower the better :-)
Make to images with a certain interval/setting and then flip back forth on the display. If the displacement is more than 1mm on the camera monitor movement is too fast or interval too long.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: