• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flickering with just exposer adjustment

#1 JBROWN
I am having an issue that I've seen many others experiencing as well. That is flickering. I have shot several day to night lapses using the holy grail technique just adjusting the shutter as it gets darker. So there of course will be the obvious flicker at those shutter changes. Everything things else is locked in manually such as aperture etc. When I view an unedited sequence, I ONLY see the flicker at the shutter changing moments. Everything in between is smooth and consistent. Now I have heard people say to stay away from certain parameters inside LR because they are content dependent and will vary frame to frame. I understand that. So in my latest test, I thought I would just do the bare minimum of adjusting exposer only and nothing else. When I export from LR there is still a subtle flicker across my shots. I know that LRT has deflickering capabilities, but the flickering should have never been there in the first place. It's not an LR timelapse issue, it's a lightroom issue. What possible solution does one have when the only parameter you are adjusting is exposer and you still get flickering? I watch the LR timelapse tutorials and I see use of shadows and clarity. All the things we shouldn't use, but yet you get clean results? I have the latest DNG converter and everything. I have tried the 2010 mode and it's better at times, but I am clueless. Must I always expect to have some level of flickering from LR even if it was never there to begin with?
#2 Gunther
This is possible. But I would like to add another thing: don't expect the Holy Grail Wizard alone to be so exact, that you don't see the adjustments at all after only the HG-Wizard. Cameras Exif-Data mostly do not correspond exactly with the reality. And the Holy Grail Wizard works mathematically, based on Exif. Reality might differ. So after the HG-Wizard it is absolutely recommended to use the Visual Deflicker, because that has a visual, not mathematical approach.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 JBROWN
Thank you for the reply! I have also exported the same sequence from LR alone with just an exposer adjustment across the entire sequence. The resulting sequence now has the subtle flickering. This is just using LR alone as a test. It proves that it's not LR timelapse introducing flicker but a lightroom issue. The flickering is on a fast traffic scene. It's almost as if it's in the shadow and midtone areas most. Like it's adjusting something other than exposer. Quite strange.

...also check out: