• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to achieve high mega pixel image with your DSLR camera

#1 rcmagraw
So I had to generate a very large image for a client this week and the camera I was using did not have enough mega pixels to do so. So that got me thinking… how can I achieve the pixel information I need while still using the same camera. Here is what I came up with…

Break your shot up into a grid. For example, I know the final outcome of my image needs to be (24640 x 33264) The largest dimension my camera can shoot at is (4928 x 3264) so in order to achieve the large image I would need to should shoot 5 images across and 5 images down for a total of 25 images. (One thing to keep in mind. Do not by any means move the tripod between shots – it will not stich properly. The series of images need to be taken from one position.)

The result you’re left with is very similar to a panorama. You can then use a program like ptgui or Photoshop to stich the photograph together into one seamless image.

Please also be aware that there is software out there that can enlarge an image to fairly good quality. But I've found to achieve the best results just shoot the image larger with this method I shared above - or rent a high mega pixel camera.

Anyhow, I was very pleased with the results and thought I would share my findings. Hopefully this will be helpful for someone in this predicament Smile If you need further explanation on the workflow feel free to leave a message.

Cheers!
#2 borne
What did your client need such a large file for?
#3 rcmagraw
Sorry for the delayed response. The photograph was for a trade show display that measured 12ft x 8ft.

...also check out: