• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Interval problem

#1 PidoFRANCE
Hello,

I did some test of interval and time of exposure and i had a probleme : the interval was not regular :

i shoot interval 1s and 1/2s exposure exposure and then my interval was 1S, 1S, 2S, 1S, 1S, 2S, .... i did not realise that during shooting but during post processing time :/

My gear configuration was :
-Sony A73
-intern intervalometer
-SD card 250 Mb/s
-shooting RAW
-focus manual
-exposure manual

What was the cause of this probleme ? Is my SD card not writting speed enough, ? a probleme of internal processor of the camera ?

Thanks by advance for your help and i would like to excuse myself for my por english.

Pido
#2 Gunther
It's important that you understand the the interval always cover the exposure and a dark time.
If you shoot with 1/2 secs exposure and 1 sec interval, then the dark time where the camera can save images and get ready for the next shot will be only 1/2 secs.
Usually when using the internal intervalometer of a camera this is way too short. Even with simple "unmodified" external Intervalometers you won't be able to shoot such short dark times / intervals. Then you'll get missed shots as you experienced.

You can either use an external intervalometer and "hack" the cable as explained here:
https://lrtimelapse.com/news/intervalometer-hack/

or you go for the LRT PRO Timer which will allow for such setups right away: https://lrtimelapse/lrtpt
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 PidoFRANCE
Hello,

Thank you for your answer. i will study that in order to improv myself.

I just received my brand new LRTpro 3 yesterday, and i continue to do some test (with interval less than 1s).
(i shoot a TL of chronometers on my phone screen in order to check more precisely)
With my canon 5D Mark III i can use interval of 0,4 s there is no problem, but i had some trouble with my SONY A7III.

With an interval of 0,4s, LRTPro3 and A7III i missed some shoot every 4 frames. but i also noticed that on the software LRTimelpase 5,8, the value of the interval is not accuracy : i just can read interval of 0 or 1 ( instead of o value with decimal ??!!)

With an interval of 0,6s, LTRPro3 and A7III i did not miss a frame Smile, but the value of interval in the software is not accuracy again, only 0 or 1 s ( i did not have this lack of accuracy when i import picture from my canonit is precise witth 0,1 s )

What could be the probleme, do you recommand a minimum interval for camera in general and for SONYA7III in particular.

Thanks again
Attached Files

.pdf   Capture d’écran 2022-03-26 à 13.41.00.pdf (Size: 197.44 KB / Downloads: 2)
#4 Gunther
Some cameras write 0.1 second timestamps in the exif data, others only in 1 second steps.
LRT can only calculate the interval by the data that the camera writes. But this has no influence on the real interval!
For example if the camera only writes exif accurate to the full second, then you will see 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1 for example for an interval of 0.3 secs, but the interval usually will be accurate nevertheless. It's just the interval info that is "rounded".

If you want to fine tune the dark time that you can achieve with the LRT PRO Timer, see the manual (quite at the bottom): https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt/manual/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 PidoFRANCE
Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer and your advices

...also check out: