• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Closed

Issue with colors after rendering in ProRes 444

#11 identitaet
Hi Gunther,

I tried both:

- rendering in 709 h.264 is a format QuickTime cannot open
- rendering in 709 ProRes creates a result that's rather flat and lacking contract compared to Lightroom
- rendering in 2020 ProRes creates a result that's matching the colours but the lights in the sky are blown out

I am attaching a screenshot pf the 2020 version as well. The 709 version you can see above!

Greetings
Mathias
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#12 Gunther
Quicktime obviously doesn't support 422 color sampling. You need to render in 420 for Quicktime.

Blown out skies could be an issue with limited/full range. I'm not sure , if quicktime detects this correctly. The problem is that many players lack proper color management. Quicktime seems to have gotten better in this aspect from what I heard.

By I still don't see Quicktime as a reference - what happens if you bring the sequences into a video editor like Davinci Resolve with proper color management?
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#13 identitaet
Thanks for your feedback! I tried a lot of combinations for h.264 / rec.709 in all resolutions and aspect ratio. I can't make it work.

Same goes for adding the Rec.2020 file to Premiere Pro or After Affects. I have activated the color management before in both softwares. Unfortunately the sky stays blown out and now the footage has too much contrast.

But with the h.264 Rec.709 footage that won't open in QuickTime loaded to Premiere, everything looks fine.

So ... the thing remains a bit of a mystery to me.
#14 identitaet
By the way, the Color Management directly in LRTimelapse is off for some previews as well, as you can see in the screenshot here.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#15 Gunther
Yes, you are right: currently (5.5.5) the preview in the LRTimelapse render Dialog is not properly color managed if you work with JPG intermediary sequences. If works for TIFF intermediaries however. I'll fix this soon.

Regarding color issues in video editors / players, I'd like to refer you to the other thread about this, where I've just posted a longer answer. There I also explained, why you can't play certain MP4 files in Quicktime.

Let's continue the discussion there, I think it doesn't make sense to have two threads about this in parallel.

https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-fin...1#pid47441
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: