• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mac Catalina: LRTimelapse failing to terminate correctly.

#11 Gunther
Hi Herbert,
Did you maybe rename your LRTimelapse app? It needs to have the original name, otherwise the launcher cannot detect that there is ready an instance running.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#12 Jobes
I upgraded my OS from Mojave to Catalina this week (10.15.7) and installed the latest version of LRTimelapse (5.5.7) after removing 5.5.5 which I previously had installed. I have experienced the same issue since upgrading: after rendering a video the app doesn't correctly quit.

It's odd; the app icon is in the Dock, but no dot indicating it's open. Cannot force quit via right-clikicng on the icon in the Dock; and there's no process showing in Activity monitor so no way of quitting.

Force quit dialogue window shows the app is running… but the standard force quit command does not work. It doesn't list it as "not working" either. Logging out user fails as LRTimelapse is running. I have to restart my Mac to quit the process, which is quite disruptive to my general workflow.

System Preferences / Dock / Show recent applications in Dock is switched off.
The 'open in new tab' is only an option in Big Sur, not Catalina.

Machine is a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 128GB, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB with Radeon RX Vega 56 eGPU. I've not enabled 'Prefer External GPU' for LRTimelapse.

It would be good to understand what the issue is. In the meantime, is there a link to download 5.5.6 so I can test if a downgrade works better?
#13 crowley213
Hi Gunther

No, I did not rename the LRTimelapse app nor anything else, I just installed and use it in the “normal” way.

But again, initiating the rendering in a separate step works without problems, so I use this as a workaround until you can figure out the problem and hopefully fix it in a future version. At least for me this little glitch doesn’t make the program overall less useful.

Herbert
#14 Jobes
I've just tried using 5.5.8 beta 2 and experienced the same issue. However as Herbert states above, rendering the video in a separate stage works as expected. Good to have this as an alternative option.
#15 Jobes
Sure. I'll install LRTimelapse on my new M1 MBP and test the same workflow to see how it behaves compared to the iMac with Catalina.
#16 Gunther
I'm currently working on a solution for a more general detection, if an instance of LRTimelapse is already running to preventing a second instance to get launched.
Currently the API method that Apple provides to detect if an App is running seems to behave totally different on different versions of MacOS. That means, I will need to implement another way to detect this independently from Apples methods.
I'll come back to you with a beta for some testing soon.
#17 Jobes
Tested on Big Sur with the same files… couldn't replicate the issue. So it looks like it's specific to Catalina.

Edit: and thank you for your responsiveness… it's always good to hear the developer is aware of problems (and potential solutions!)
#18 Gunther
I've just uploaded 5.5.8 beta 3, where I've implemented a new way of checking on Mac, if another instance of LRTimelapse is running.
This will now hopefully reliably prevent Lightroom from opening another instance for rendering if LRTimelapse is already running.

Background: The check will now happen via a semaphore file called LRTimelapse_running which will be existant in Documents/LRTimelapse while LRTimelapse is running. The LRTimelapse launcher will then check for the existance of that file and if it exists, it will not launch.
If you force quit LRTimelapse, of course it won't have the chance to remove that file. That's why the launcher also checks for the age of the file. If it has not been touched by LRTimelapse for the last 30 seconds, it will expire and LRT will launch.

I hope with this we'll get a consistent behavior across the different versions of MacOS.

Please test and give me feedback, especially if you are on older MacOS than Big Sur.

Download the new beta from here:

https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-lrt...5-8-beta-3
#19 Gunther
Since still some Catalina users complained about issues, here is another beta. Please try and give me feedback. https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-lrt...5-8-beta-4
#20 Jobes
I've tested beta4 with the same image set and export / render settings as before. I'm pleased to say it works on Catalina! After rendering, if I quit the app there's no icon in the dock, no stuck process… and I'm able to successfully reopen the app.

Congratulations on sorting the issue and thank you for your responsiveness.

...also check out: