• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need an Ramping solution for Sony A7SIII (alternative to qDSLRDashboard)

#1 retailgeek
I really appreciate this timelapse community and am a fan of Gunther's work. I'm a hobbit that would love to shoot some holy grails, and I've tried to take all of Gunther's advice, but I am struggling...

I own the eBook and LTRTimelapse. I use an iPhone and of course QDSLR does not support ios. So I bought an android tablet explicitly to run QDSLR. Now I've discovered that QDSLR on android can't connect to modern Sony Cameras (has to be a 3+ year old model that run's the Play Memories App System). High dynamic range cameras like the A7sIII don't seem to have a path with QDSLR.

So what's the non-QDSLR solution to semi-automated Holy Grails? I do have an automated slider, so I'd like to use it's intervoltometer (and it doesn't have a slave mode). So I either need a hardware solution that goes between the sliders sync cable and the A7SIII, or I need a wifi solution like QDSLR.

Are there any alternatives?
#2 TGPhoto
Are you sure it doesn't work? It was not intuitive to figure out. I have been using QDSLR Dashboard on a sony a6400. I know the a6400 is not an A7SIII but it is the same generation (I think).

I do not have the "play memories" or "imaging edge" app installed on my android phone. I do use QDSLR dashboard.

How I connect:
1. I have the wifi on the camera turned on. I have it set to use a password to connect to the camera wifi instead of scanning the QR code.
2. I have my phone always connect to the camera wifi when it is available with the camera wifi password saved in the phone. Phone will warn me no internet is available when it connects to the camera wifi.
3. When the camera is on, I ensure the phone is connected to the camera wifi.
4. I then start QDSLR dashboard and search for a sony camera and it always comes up.
#3 retailgeek
I'm not "sure" it won't work, but I've exhausted everything I can think of (and can't find anyone on the internet who made it work yet). I can connect the android tablet to the camera wifi exactly as you described, if I then go into QDSLRDashboard, and "Scan for Sony" it will give an error "found a Sony camera, but can't connect."
#4 Gunther
From what I know it should work with those Sonys. Here is a youtube Video that a user with a A7RIII did: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-l%C...tion-qdslr
It's in German, but maybe it will help.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 retailgeek
Thanks Gunther, unfortunately the A7riii was release in 2017 vs. the A7Siii was late 2020 so they aren't really the same generation of Sony camera. The actual youtube video you linked to is no longer online (at least here in the US).

Zolton has been asked a few times on his facebook group if the A7Siii is supported and he consistently points everyone to his FAQ (last updated in 2016) which obviously doesn't include the A7Siii https://dslrdashboard.info/phpBB3/viewto...f=6&t=1574. He also often says only Sony cameras which use Play Memories app system are supported (sony discontinued that app in 2019). He also says newer Sony cameras can't be supported because Sony doesn't make documentation available, which is not accurate, Sony has an SDK for all these cameras available for free since 2020: https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app...index.html

It's certainly his right not to support my camera, but his communication style (and outdated FAQ document) are a bit frustrating.

I do understand that your particular configuration of camera and OS have been very stable with QDSLRDashboard, and I love the results you've been able to get. But I do think the solution is a lot less stable for a considerable segment of the world (Sony shooters, IOS users, etc...). So it would be great to hear any other thoughts or recommendations from you for non QDSLR solutions, particularly in your ebook.

I just wish there was some ramping solution for Sony (and ideally IOS) as stable as QDSLR is for you. Sony's native IOS app basically has everything that's needed for manual Holy Grail method, (except for showing histograms for the previews on app), and doesn't have auto-ramping. Monitor+ (https://monitorplus.cc/) is an excellent third party app for controlling modern Sony cameras that has everything needed for manual Holy Grail method including histograms (just no auto-ramping).

Unleashed '22 won't be out for a while, but they promise to support modern Sony camera with auto ramping. I have an old Timelapse+ that's a bit flaky but they report that it supports the Sonys, so I'm going to try to update it's firmware and give it a go.

I do really appreciate all the content (and products) you've shared with the community and value your opinion.

Cheers,

-Jason
#6 Gunther
If there were other products, I would test them and recommend them if they are good. Foolography's Unleashed works, but with some limitations and also not all cameras.
Unfortunately, still there is nothing on the market coming even close to qDslrDashboard in my opinion. I think Zoltan just doesn't have a younger Sony camera to test, I mean, he earns 10€ with each Android app sold and Apple killed half of his income by removing the iOS version from the store.
Maybe you Sony guys could organize a funding to buy or rent him a Sony camera, then perhaps he can work on it.
Please don't blame Zoltan. Timelapse is a niche that heavily is dependent from enthusiast like him.

If I like to have him supporting a new camera (like currently the Nikon Z9) I work with him, send him logs, he sends me betas. That's a tedious and time consuming process for both of us. But at the end, qDDB gets a little bit bitter.

I think you need to reconsider your expectations and if you want a certain result that cannot be achieved otherwise, just be open to invest into it. Maybe if you write to Zoltan and offer him to help him doing this, he react differently.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#7 retailgeek
Thanks very much for the thoughtful reply Gunther. I definitely don't mean to be "blaming Zoltan", I really admire people like him (and you) that have created something useful and are sharing it with the world. I wish you could both earn more for all your obvious hard work.

Thanks for confirming that I haven't missed something in terms of alternative solutions. I know it's a pretty niche field, so I guess it's not fair to expect a bunch of robust solutions.

I will reach out to Zoltan. In reading his responses to other's questions about Sony, it felt like he mostly referred people to some pretty dated sources of info. If access to a test camera and/or beta testers are what's holding him back, I wish he'd have said so. I'm sure myself and many others would be happy to help contribute.
#8 rruiz
Thanks Gunther for this link... finally a found also guys like you @retailgeek with a Sony a7sIII and with the same issue. I have tried other solutions without success.

I offer my help in order to beta test QDSLR in order to work with this new sony camera.

@ retailgeek please let me know where do I join or what to do in order to help !!

Roberto
#9 hubaiz
I'm trying to add Sony USB connection to qDslrDashboard and I made already some progress (device communication loop, reading of properties, live view, image download). Still lot to fix/add/implement.
Unfortunately Sony does not provide documentation for developers (like Nikon does). Yes they have an SDK but this can be only used on Windows and macOS machines and this does not document the protocol they use and enforces the developer to use their libraries.
I have a Sony a6300 and can only test with this camera.
#10 rruiz
Please let us know if you want to send the file or whatever in order to test on our a7sIII

I offer my help if requiered

Roberto

proyectosecologicos atsymbol gmail dot com

...also check out: