• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pine R Controller - Energy Saving Settings

#1 bick
Hi,

What are recommended settings regarding energy saving when I use the NEMA17 Stepper Motor 14:1 and NT Head (both from Black Forest Motion)? Default was a setting of 20% for each motor in the app profile for the Pine R controller. What can happen when I use the setting 100% for each motor to save the maximum of energy? I will use the BFM slider (60 cm) mainly for time lapse (horizontal and sometimes diagonal) and seldom for video slides. Is there any risk of visible problems when the job is done (especially when using it for time lapse)? During tests in my appartment I couldn't notice any problems (payload about 2 kg, slider horizontal or diagonal, NT Head horizontal). Does anyone have experience with these settings and the mentioned motors in the field?

Thanks in advance
René
#2 Moritz Huber
Hi René,

you can use 100% Energysave if you want. Our Motors do not turn when no power is applied.
So power will only be send to the motor when it is supposed to turn.
But be aware, that most of the power banks have an automated shut off function.
This is when the controller draws not enough power from the power bank.

This means, if you have all motors on energy save 100%. it can happen that the power bank turns off the power supply.
You can avoid this by setting at least one motor not to 100%.

All the best,

Moritz
#3 bick
Hi Moritz,

Thanks for your quick answer and the hint about the shut off problem with power banks. I already use the QCCP-Stick and it works well and reliable with my supported power banks (I can recommend it). For my cameras I use mainly NP-F batteries or some with D-Tap port for long time lapse shots. Also the Smallrig plate for NP-F batteries with 12 V output works reliable with the Pine R controller. D-Tap power is also a good option to supply the controller.
I was only concerned about mechanical problems when using the 100% energy saving setting and the motors have no power while not moving (e.g. NEMA17 Stepper Motor 14:1). So, my assumption or concern was that it could lead to unwanted motions or little vibrations in a final time lapse movie which could be avoided with the default setting of 20% (to keep the current position absolutely stable). But with the disadvantage that bigger batteries are needed. During my tests at home I couldn't notice such problems yet. But I'm planning long time lapse shots in the higher mountains and cold regions as in Greenland (hopefully soon again). So, on the one hand I want so save weight in my backpack (equipment for 2 cameras) and on the other hand I don't want to waste my time and energy with producing time lapse shots which are not usable at the end (after exhausting hikes or mountaineering and freezing in the cold). Battery drain in the cold is an additional problem, so about 0.5 or 1 kg weight saving in the backpack is a lot for me Smile

Thanks again
René

...also check out: