• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Time-lapse Movie Fundamentals

#1 cgmorg
Hi,

Just bought the stage 1 dolly system from Dynamic Perception and planning to use this to create time-lapse movies during our upcoming road trip around Australia. Generally I will be capturing landscape or urban scenes of sleepy rural towns.

I am using Nikon camera gear and processing with Lightroom, LRtimelapse, Final Cut Pro X and Motion software. I am taking an Apple MacBook Pro Laptop on our trip. LRtimelapse software appears to be crucial to creating a quality output and I appreciate the time and effort gone into creating this - brilliant work!

Aside from the technical aspects of creating and processing the shots my research into what makes an interesting time-lapse movie has uncovered the following general principles. Any comments on these would be well appreciated and help me to avoid spending countless hours producing below average time-lapse movies.

1 The movie should be between 2 to 3 minutes total time.
2 Clips within the movie should be around 10 to 15 secs per clip.
3 Some camera movement (using a dolly for example) often makes more interesting clips than having the camera static.
4 Having some foreground adds interest and depth to the clip.
5 Soft relaxing background music seems to be more appropriate for the types of scenes I would be capturing.
6 Having plenty of interesting movement in the clip makes for a more interesting movie.
7 Getting the camera into unusual positions and angles adds interest.
8 Having some descriptive titles in the movie helps keep the viewers interest.
9 Avoid drastically changing light conditions (e.g. bright sun to cloud covered shade) to prevent flickering.
10 Transitions between clips should be subtle.

I am sure this list could be expanded and look forward to getting some tips from experienced time lapsers so I can establish a solid recipe for producing my time-lapse movies.

My very first attempt ever at a time lapse sequence (to practice the processing methods) can be seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0NJxr4YHY

It is very short but helped me sort out the basics of using the image processing software which I had never used before - and still got a long way to go!

CU
Glenn
#2 timp
I find a lot of timelapse videos feel a bit like a show reel, with no real meaning other than being nice images. Thats not a criticism - there is nothing wrong with that, the same could be said of many photos but I personally believe for a video to be a truly engaging film it needs to transcend technique and have some form of narrative or concept to drive it, and motivate its form and engage emotions....

(Of course thats just my opinion & what I aspire to)

...also check out: